Although the original recipe, from Food Network magazine, didn't call for brushing the steak with balsamic vinegar, I did it to act as a marinade for this less expensive cut of steak. I used a white variety and marinated it for about 8 hours.
Find everything you need to make this dinner at your local Meijer.
- 1 1 lb Texas Broil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- allspice to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- sugar to taste
- 1 T butter
- Let broil rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Grill broil to desired doneness. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients. Add sauce mixture to a medium saucepan over medium heat; simmer til thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Strain; whisk in butter.
- I served the broil with the sauce and sprinkled with the cheese, alongside salad with greens straight from the garden.