To save a step or two, I drained the pasta and returned it to the cooking pot to keep warm. The sauce is then tossed right in with the pasta.
This would have been even better with diced tomato, but I didn't have any on hand.
Find everything you need to make dinner for two at your local Meijer.
- 2 cups rotini pasta, cooked according to package directions and 1/4 cup pasta water reserved
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- pinch hot pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 generous handfuls fresh spinach
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon on medium-high heat til browned. With a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic, pepper flakes and beans; cook for a few minutes. Stir in lemon juice and salt and pepper. Stir in pasta water and cook 5 minutes longer. Stir in spinach and remove from heat. Check for seasoning and adjust as desired.
- In pasta cooking pot, toss pasta with chickpea sauce.
- Serve pasta garnished with cheese.