Valentine’s Day is coming soon. Bangor area children will be swapping Valentine’s during school parties. Each child will need a card holder to keep their cards in. The following is a fun Valentine’s Day card holder that children can make at home and take to class. Teachers can also have their students make the card holder during school.
Many of the materials will already be available at home. Scrap fabric can be bought at the Bangor area thrift stores. The rest of the supplies can be purchased at the Bangor Super Wal-Mart store. The following materials are needed for this craft:
A box (shoe, empty food, etc…)
Wrapping or tissue paper (red, white, or pink)
Scrap fabric (reds, pinks, white, purples)
Paper doilies (variety of sizes)
Buttons (reds, pinks, purples, white)
Chenille stems (red and silver)
Holiday wrapping ribbon (red, white, silver)
Printed heart templates
Small children may need help making this fun Valentine’s Day craft. Each child can decorate their box whichever way they please. The following are the directions for this craft:
- Choose a work area. Place all of the materials on the surface within reach of the child.
- Wrap the box in tissue paper like you would wrap a present. Use tape to hold the ends of the paper down. If you are using tissue paper, double wrap the box so that the picture does not show through the paper.
- Cut hearts from the template using the scissors. Use a marker to trace the heart shapes on the cardboard. You may not need the big hearts. It depends on the size of the box you are decorating. Cut the hearts from the cardboard.
- Use a medium sized cardboard heart to trace a heart on the box. This will be where the opening for the Valentine’s will be placed inside box. Use the scissors to cut the heart shape from the box.
- Use the fabric pencils to trace heart shapes on the scrap fabric. Cut the hearts from the fabric using the scissors.
- Use the fabric hearts and the rest of the materials to decorate the rest of the box. Use your imagination and make the perfect box for you.