Valentine’s Day 2013 is right around the corner, so why not make it a family affair? Below are some fun facts about the sweet holiday to share with your kids. If you're stumped about what to get your sweetheart, here are some popular gift ideas for 2013, plus money-saving deals on Valentine’s Day flowers. Finally, after the kids are in bed, cozy up and watch a romantic movie with your loved one. Enjoy and Happy Valentine's Day!
A Dozen Fun Facts about Valentine’s Day from St Valentine's Day.org:
- More than 36 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate will be sold this Valentine’s Day.
- Over 50 million roses are sold every Valentine’s Day.
- 73% of people who buy flowers are men.
- Approximately one billion Valentine's Day cards are sent each year.
- 3% of pet owners give Valentine's Day gifts to their beloved furry friends.
- Children receive 39% of all Valentine's Day related gifts and candies.
- Even if they don’t make the final purchases until the last few days, 75% of men swear that they plan ahead for Valentine’s Day.
- Eight billion conversation hearts will be produced in 2013. That's enough candy to stretch from Rome, Italy to Valentine, Arizona 20 times and back again.
- On average, men spend $130 for their dates on Valentine's Day.
- The Italian city of Verona, where Romeo and Juliet lived, receives over 1000 valentines addressed to Juliet each Valentine's Day.
- Women purchase 85% of all valentines.
- In order of popularity, Valentine's Day cards are given to teachers, children, mothers, wives, sweethearts and pets.
Most Popular Gift Ideas for Valentine’s Day 2013:
- Roses and flowers
- Teddy bears
- Chocolate candy
- Personalized photo gifts
- Leather gifts for him
- Perfume and cologne
- Electronic gifts, like smart phones and iPads
- Romantic DVDs and Blu-ray movies
Best Romantic Movies for Valentine’s Day:
After the kids go to bed, turn out the lights, cozy up with your loved one and watch one of these romantic movies for Valentine’s Day. Below are ten great choices to spark your romantic side.
- “When Harry Met Sally”: Love survives through changing times.
- “Titanic”: The ultimate love story with a not-so-happy ending.
- “Casablanca”: Arguably the greatest love story ever.
- “An Affair To Remember”: Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr are destined to be together.
- “Sleepless in Seattle”: Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks find each other in New York City.
- “Gone with the Wind”: Enough sparks fly to set Atlanta on fire.
- “Pretty Woman”: Atlanta native Julia Roberts finds love and a fairytale ending.
- “An Officer and a Gentleman”: A romantic tale with a modern fairytale ending.
- “The Notebook”: A tearjerker based on a novel by Nicholas Sparks.
- “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind”: A love story about second chances.
Best Flower Deals for Valentine’s Day 2013:
If you like to get roses for your loved one on Valentine’s Day, ProFlowers.com is offering a few great deals in 2013. For just $19.99, you can select the Tender Hugs & Kisses (includes free chocolates) or the Valentine’s Day Spectacular arrangement with lilies. Orders can be placed up until Feb. 13 for Valentine’s Day delivery. For those last minute planners, Whole Foods in Atlanta usually sells two dozen roses for just $19.99 on Feb. 14. Stop by the Briarcliff, Buckhead, Johns Creek, Midtown, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta and Cobb locations to get this deal.
To receive future articles by Jackie Kass, scroll to the top of this article, and click on SUBSCRIBE. Do you have a story idea? I'd love to hear from you! E-mail your ideas to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.