Are you looking for a last minute Valentine treat that is easy and quick to make? You really can't ever go wrong with puppy chow, especially this red velvet version. It is perfectly festive for Valentine's day and great as a snack or dessert.
I really like the peanut butter flavor in the traditional puppy chow, but this red velvet version is almost as good. It has just a touch of cream cheese, and I really like the addition of the dark chocolate M&M's.
Red Velvet Puppy Chow (recipe from Your Cup of Cake)
5 C. Rice Chex cereal
3/4 C. white chocolate melts or chips
1/4 C. chocolate melts or chips
2 oz cream cheese, room temp
1 1/2 Tbsp. milk
1 C. Red Velvet Cake mix
1/2 C. powdered sugar
Valentines colored M&M's or other candies
Heart sprinkles for extra decoration and cute-nes
1. Measure out Rice Chex cereal and place into a large bowl.
2. Place cake mix and powdered sugar into a large plastic bag or tupperware with a lid.
3. Melt chocolates together in the microwave or on the stove top. Careful not to burn and stir until smooth.
4. Stir in cream cheese and milk (the chocolate will get thicker, but it's okay)
5. Pour chocolate over Rice Chex cereal and stir until coated.
6. Dump cereal into the bag or tupperware with powdered sugar and cake mix. Shake, shake, shake until coated.
7. Dump onto a cookie sheet and let cool.
8. Mix with extra colorful candies and serve!
NOTE: Because of the cream cheese, keep in the fridge if you won't be eating them that day. You can also omit the cream cheese all together if you wish...if you do that, you don't need the milk either!