The skis might be in the closet until the temperatures cool down and the snow starts to fall, but that's no excuse not to use your local mountain as an outdoor playground in the summer months. You can mountain bike, play golf, go for a hike, play at the adventure zones, and that's just for starters. And come 2013, you're going to find an entirely different experience when you head to Vail.
Vail Resorts recently announced that it had submitted a proposal to the U.S. Forest Service for a comprehensive summer activities plan at Vail Mountain, according to a press release. Called Epic Discovery, the plan is truly a summer mountain adventure that is aimed to provided learning through playing. How does that work? Let's take a look:
- Environmental educational elements will be interspersed between several activities located in already developed areas of Vail Mountain.
- Vail Resorts plans to work with The Nature Conservancy to add scientific content to the eco-discovery experiences.
- Vail Resorts will contribute 1 percent of its summer lift ticket and activity revenue to forest restoration projects.
- Epic Discovery will connect kids and families with the national forests with active and engaging fun.
- Some of the future activities will include zip lines, ropes courses, mountain excursions, and Forest Flyers, better known as alpine slides. It sounds like a hands-on museum that doesn't trap you inside combined with amusement park fun that's far more educational than spinning tea cups until you get dizzy.
- Vail hopes to begin construction on this project after it's approved by the U.S. Forest Service, which is expected to happen in the summer or fall of 2013.
Epic Discovery is designed to connect kids and families with our national forests in an active, fun and engaging way. The proposal includes a number of new activities, including zip lines, ropes courses, mountain excursions and Forest Flyers™ with extensive environmental and interpretive programming, offering guests a unique opportunity to try new outdoor activities, challenge themselves physically, discover an appreciation for nature and create lasting family memories.Want to read more about the fun that could be heading toward Vail? Read more about Epic Discovery here.