The Hokies won seven of ten matches vs. cross-state rival Virginia. Bonus points were not a factor in the finals; however, two matches -- 149 and 174 pounds -- went beyond regulation.
Incredibly, it was the first time a Virginia-based school had won the team title in the 33-year history of the Virginia Duals.
Match Results -- Finals:
- 125: No. 4 Jarrod Garnett (VT) dec. No. 7 Matt Snyder (Va.), 6-3
- 133: No. 13 George DiCamillo (Va.) dec. Erik Spjut (VT), 3-2
- 141: No. 13 Zach Neibert (VT) dec. Jimmy Nehls (Va.), 6-1
- 149: No. 6 Nick Brascetta (VT) dec. No. 16 Derek Valenti (Va.), 3-2, TB1
- 157: No. 6 Jesse Dong (VT) dec. Blaise Butler (Va.), 9-5
- 165: No. 5 Pete Yates (VT) dec. No. 7 Nick Sulzer (Va.), 3-1
- 174: No. 15 Jon Fausey (Va.) dec. Austin Gabel (VT), 2-1, TB1
- 184: Zach Nye (Va.) dec. Nick Vetterlein (VT), 4-2
- 197: Derrick Borlie (VT) dec. Stephen Doty (Va.), 10-5
- Hwt. David Marone (VT) dec. Pat Gillen (Va.), 7-2
Virginia Tech made it to the finals by defeating Binghamton, 32-9, then topping 2012 team titlewinner (and No. 7 seed) Kent State 26-9. In the semifinals, Virginia Tech beat No. 3 seed Edinboro, 23-10. To get to the title match, Virginia defeated Bucknell, 31-6, then No. 5 seed Boise State, 21-13, then, in the semis, upset top-seeded Central Michigan, 20-13.
In the match-up to determine third place in the National College Division, Central Michigan beat Edinboro, 25-10. In the fifth-place match, Boise State defeated Kent State, 27-12. North Dakota State topped Old Dominion, 27-15 to place seventh.
Final Team Standings -- National College Division:
- Virginia Tech
- Central Michigan
- Boise State
- Kent State
- North Dakota State
- Old Dominion
The college wrestling season is here! Keep up with all the developments in the sport year round... by clicking the "sign up" button at the top of the page -- or click on the Twitter link below -- to make sure you don't miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News' Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It's absolutely FREE!