This August update covers professional ballplayers signed from University of Utah. At the start of the 2013 season, approximately 34 Utah ballplayers had been signed by professional baseball teams in the MLB, MiLB, international and independent leagues.
To keep up with Utah ballplayer signings, stats, assignments and other news during the season, check back at the beginning of each month. Also, to review players’ stats and updates from past seasons, use the keyword search “Utah ballplayers.”
Here is a legend for the information listed below:
Name (Position), Organization
Team (Level) Stats to date
Shaun Cooper (OF), Traverse City Beach Bums
Traverse City Beach Bums (IND)
● Cooper spent the entire season on the injured list.
C. J. Cron (1B/DH), Los Angeles Angels
Arkansas Travelers (AA) .277 AVE, 132 G, 512 AB, 14 HR, 83 RBI
● Cron was chosen to play in the Arizona Fall League, which begins on October 8.
● The Travelers qualified for the Texas League playoffs by winning the North Division second-half title. They begin postseason play on Sept. 4.
Stephen Fife (RHP), Los Angeles Dodgers
Los Angeles Dodgers (MLB) 2.47 ERA, 9 G, 51.0 IP, 1.314 WHIP, .307 BAA
Albuquerque Isotopes (AAA) 6.03 ERA, 10 G, 37.1IP, 1.795 WHIP, .297 BAA
● Fife was activated from the DL, started one game for the Dodgers and was sent down to Alburquerque.
● After Dodgers signed 17-game winner Edinson Volquez, they decided to turn Fife into a reliever. His first relief appearance didn’t go well.
Parker Morin (C), Kansas City Royals
Wilmington Blue Rocks (Adv-A) .223 AVE, 87 G, 296 AB, 1 HR, 30 RBI
Jordan Whatcott (RHP), Sioux Falls Canaries
Sioux Falls Canaries (IND) 5.95 ERA, 33 G, 65.0 IP, 1.692 WHIP
● Whatcott pulled double-duty on August 4, pitching a scoreless top of the eighth inning followed by hitting a two-out single and scoring a run in the bottom of the inning.