Looking for a few fun and affordable last-minute gift ideas for your horse-loving friends or family this holiday season? Here are our top ten suggestions!
1. Hand warmers. Foot warmers are always appreciated, too! Those handy little stick-on, self-heating accessories are affordable and easy to find (see IFA or other local feed or sport shops).
2. Gloves. You can never have too many gloves! Backup pairs are always essential this time of year. You can pick these up almost anywhere.
3. A bag of carrots. Most people will give their horses a little extra treat at Christmas. Quality, fresh carrots (especially the organic variety) are a nice present for the human and their horse. Our favorite local source: Whole Foods.
4. A bucket. We always have use for a bucket. They break, handles come off. It’s a rare horse person who doesn’t have a place for a new bucket. IFA has a great selection in various colors and sizes.
5. Rope. Soft, strong rope is ideal for an emergency lead line. Smaller diameter, tougher rope comes in handy for an assortment of tasks. Ropes for headers or healers are great as well. It’s hard to have too many ropes on the farm. These are easily found at your nearby tack or feed store.
6. Bailing wire. This comes in handy for an assortment of projects. Gotta love the practical gifts! Where to buy? Try IFA or Cal-Ranch.
7. Duct tape. Just as useful as bailing wire (sometimes even more so), it’s always great to have duct tape on hand. Few places don’t carry duct tape these days.
8. Vet wrap. It’s one of those things that horse folks always need to have well-stocked at the stable. IFA typically has this item in their inventory, as does Horse Crazy in Draper or A.A. Callister’s on Redwood Road. Order in bulk from Valley Vet or Jeffer’s Equine if you prefer online shopping.
9. Antibiotic ointment. It doesn’t have to be a fancy name-brand variety; the generic type from your favorite grocery store or pharmacy will do just fine. It’s great for both people and their equines, for a variety of quick-fix first aid needs.
There you have our list for this year’s most popular and practical must-have items. Make sure the equestrians in your life are well-stocked with essential supplies, and have a very Merry Christmas!!