This February update covers professional ballplayers signed from Utah high schools. It includes a quick review of their 2012 regular season stats, winter league stats (if applicable), highlights and latest news.
By the close of the 2012 season, 43 Utah ballplayers had played professional baseball in the MLB, MiLB, international and independent leagues. How many will suit up in 2013 remains to be seen, with a number of free agents still unsigned, and the independent leagues months away from getting started.
With the first exhibition games scheduled for Feb. 21 (Grapefruit League) and Feb. 22 (Cactus League), major and minor league spring training camps are in full swing. Ballclubs have from now until March 31st to whittle down the long list of veterans, prospects, longshots and rookies into the opening day roster of 25 names.
To keep up with Utah ballplayer signings, stats, assignments and other news, check back at the beginning of each month.
Here is a legend for the information listed below:
Name (Position), High School, 2012 Organization
2012 Team (League), Stats
2012-13 Winter Team (League), Stats
2013 Organization (Team)
John Buck (C), Taylorsville H.S.
2012 Miami Marlins
2012 Miami Marlins (MLB) 95 G, 305 AB, 10 HR, 34 RBI, .197 AVE
2013 New York Mets (MLB)
● In just over a month, Buck went from Miami to Toronto to New York, where he is already making an impact.
● It’s a high school reunion as the former Taylorsville Warriors, Buck and Brandon Lyon, have a game of catch.
Brandon Duckworth (RHP), Kearns H.S.
2012 Boston Red Sox/Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles
2012 (AAA/NPB combined) 3.18 ERA, 27 G, 147.0 IP, 1.259 WHIP
2013 Boston Red Sox (unassigned)
● Duckworth returned to the Red Sox, signing a minor league deal in January.
Brady Lail (RHP), Bingham H.S.
2012 New York Yankees
2012 GCL Yankees (R) 1.42 ERA, 5 G, 12.2 IP, .789 WHIP, .190 BAA
2013 New York Yankees (unassigned)
Marcus Littlewood (C), Pineview H.S.
2012 Seattle Mariners
2012 Everett AquaSox (A) 62 G, 214 AB, 9 HR, 37 RBI, .262 AVE
2013 Seattle Mariners (unassigned)
Cole Miles (SS), Viewmont H.S.
2012 Florence Freedom
2012 Florence Freedom (IND) 19 G, 67 AB, 0 HR, 5 RBI, .299 AVE
2013 Florence Freedom (IND)
● Miles did not play after a June groin injury and is looking to come back strong for the Freedom in 2013.
Mitch Talbot (RHP), Canyon View H.S.
2012 Samsung Lions
2012 Samsung Lions (KBO) 3.56 ERA, 21 G, 118.2 IP, 1.294 WHIP
2013 Miami Marlins (unassigned)
● In 2012, Talbot earned the KBO’s best winning percentage and helped the Lions take the championship title.
● Talbot returned stateside this spring and is hoping to lock down the fifth spot in the Marlins’ starting rotation.