1. Color Your Walls: Completely transform your room with just a few gallons of paint. Try a fresh shade, and watch how it transforms all your existing furniture. Paint costs so little compared to how much you get in return. A grid of nine colorful paintings pops against a deep gray wall.
2. Rethink What You Have: It costs nothing to reassess what your room already looks like. Why not move a few pieces around? Sometimes a fresh approach encourages you to get rid of tired pieces that drag your space down. Do you really need everything you see? Does everything have a purpose and a special meaning to you? If not, then give it away, remember, less is more.
3. Choose Lighting Wisely: Adding dimmers to your space offers dimension and mood at very little cost. Or buy a fresh shade for your lamp. Consider replacing mismatched floor lamps with two, new matching lamps. Place one on either side of your sofa or bed, and see how the room suddenly has cohesive style.
4. Update Your Pillows: Can't afford a new sofa? There are dozens of affordable, fabulous pillows that are one of a kind and will zip up your space instantaneously.
5. Sleep In Style: Does your bedroom need a lift? Give it an instant update. Try buying just a new headboard with a unique fabric or pattern. Invest in a great set of sheets, complete with shams. Choose a bold pattern that will define your room, and don't be afraid to mix and match.
6. Try a Mirror: Can't afford art? You can find unique mirrors at discount stores or vintage shops that, when grouped together, will bring elegance and personality to even the smallest of spaces.
7. Consider the Scale: No matter how small your space, consider one large piece of art and decorate around it. Larger scale brings a feeling of grandeur to any size. Try Web sites such as Art.com that offer oversize prints. You can find a wide (but relevant) selection of high-quality prints, posters, and framed art for homes.
8. Recover and Renew: Can't afford a new chair? Give your existing one a makeover by recovering it in a new pattern. Get a little daring and see how a simple chair can be completely transformed.
9. Add Window Treatments: Check out every window in your house. Window treatments are instrumental in bringing dimension -- not to mention light -- into a room. You can revamp any space by simply investing in new curtains: Go for velvet or a bold pattern in a smaller room to give a luxe jewel-box effect. Elegant yet simple curtains for large spaces can often offer all the change you need.
10. Create Artwork: Consider investing in wall decor that has been pre-framed to save yourself the extra cost of visiting a local shop where prices can be sky-high! Online retailers, such as All Posters, feature products that are "ready-to-hang" as well as a wide variety of finishing services to meet every budget including basic, ready-made frames, custom-framing, wood-mounting, and canvas transfers.