Similar to other major U.S. cities, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics the unemployment rate in Baltimore, Maryland is on a steady decline.
Baltimoreans and other city dwellers will find that having an updated resume readily available in case an opportunity presents itself is a smart decision in todays competitive, urban job market.
A professionally written, clear, concise and, most importantly, up-to-date resume or curriculum vitae (CV) is just another way to increase visibility in todays job market. Yet, for some updating a resume may seem tedious or time-consuming, particularly if they have been in the same position for a while.
Here are a few tips to make updating a resume a more rewarding experience that may prove educational as well.
- Be Creative. Identify and revise responsibilities and include the latest and greatest achievements. Include and/or modernize keywords to ensure the resume is searchable online.
- Format. Look over entire resume for areas that could use additional formatting. Examples include deleting excessive verbiage or text to decrease the overall resume length and/or changing the position of subject headings. Play with the resume until it catches your eye quickly at first glance.
- Make it a habit. Updating a resume on a regular basis is best. It is best to revise both general and industry or position specific resumes. Making revisions every six months is a useful rule of thumb to follow.
- Soft Skills. Be sure to revisit the alternate sections of the resume, such as Accomplishments, Summary, Trainings, etc. Add any new and delete old or seemingly unrelated information.
- Check References. Ensure that all of the reference page information is valid. Be sure to include this page as separate and not a as a section in the resume.
Resumes offer employers a first glance of a job applicant. Keeping the resume updated regularly will ensure that their first impression is an accurate as possible, while minimizing stress to applicants under short notice.
To stay updated on the latest career advice from this writer, click on the Subscribe button above to receive email alerts when new articles are published.