The Salt Lake Bees begin the first round of the Pacific Coast League (PCL) playoffs this week, starting with two games on Wednesday and Thursday, September 4-5. They will be taking on the Las Vegas 51s in a five-game conference championship series. After a travel day on Friday, the Bees and 51s finish the series with games three, four and if needed, five, in Las Vegas. The winner of the conference series goes on to the PCL championship series.
It appears the Orem Owlz’ and Ogden Raptors’ race for the playoffs will be a close call, all the way down to the the wire. With eight games left in the regular season, the Owlz have fallen from first place and now trail the Idaho Falls Chukars by 2.5 games. Today marks the start of a do-or-die series for the Owlz, as they host the Chukars for a four-game series. The magic number for the Owlz elimination is six, which is any combination of Owlz losses and Chukars wins.
The Ogden Raptors kept themselves in the race with a four-game series sweep of the Owlz last week. Their magic number for elimination is five.
Baseball events this week:
- Salt Lake Bees vs. Reno Aces, Spring Mobile Ballpark, Salt Lake City, September 1-2: The Bees host the 2013 PCL Rookie of the Year and Player of the Year Chris Owings as they wrap up the regular season.
- Salt Lake Bees vs. Las Vegas 51s, Spring Mobile Ballpark, Salt Lake City, September 3-4: The Bees jump right into playoff action with the first two games of the conference championship series.
- Ogden Raptors vs. Idaho Falls Chukars, Lindquist Field, Ogden, September 5-6: Depending on how the Chukars’ series against the Owlz turns out, this could be a critical series for the Raptors’ playoff hopes.
- Ogden Raptors vs. Grand Junction Rockies, Lindquist Field, Ogden, September 7-8: The Raptors close out their regular season at home. Former BYU Cougar Adam Law has been playing well since his promotion to the Raptors.
- Orem Owlz vs. Idaho Falls Chukars, Brent Brown Ballpark, Orem, September 1-4: Former Salt Lake Bruins and U. C. Irvine Anteater Dominique Taylor comes to Orem to try and win a playoff spot.
- Orem Owlz vs. Grand Junction Rockies, Brent Brown Ballpark, Orem, September 5-6: After hosting the Osprey, the Owlz head north to play the Raptors in a four-game series that could decide the playoff fate of both teams.