The National Day of Prayer happened this Thursday May 1st. The motto this year is quite apropos:"One Voice United." The web-site includes articles, information, a free download of a song from Barlow Girl. Shirley Dobson, the founder of this day, and her husband Dr. James Dobson (former Focus on the Family founder and host) are scheduled to appear on Fox News, today April 25th.
While some are losing hope for our nation, we know that we can always call on God to intervene. The Word of God encourages us in 2 Chronicles 7: 14: "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land." This verse has been used often because it is a call for us to pray for our land.
Our nation has many needs and none more than the need for prayer. While some sit idly by and watch as evil and darkness descend on this land, we as Christians are called to rise up in prayer. Change comes about through prayer and listening to God as He directs us how to get involved. While some may not believe God is that intimately involved with His people, nevertheless it is true.
Prayer is a means of communication and we get to know God by talking to Him and listening. Some may be directed by the Holy Spirit through a direct Word from Him or a prompting in our spirit, though a passage of the Bible, in prayer, or perhaps from organizations and church members who have caught a vision. It is true that people perish for lack of vision. Let us not be of those who have no vision for this country. God is concerned, even though He holds everything together for a greater purpose and plan, He longs to use us and His church to demonstrate and carry out His will.
Here are some topics that you can cover either in your personal prayer time on May 1st or together with other citizens in your locality or on-line. Pray for:
- wisdom for our local and national government leaders and politicians
- for our president: that he would not be influenced by evil or by those who would want to destroy our nation using underhanded tactics, and through powerful interest groups who have tremendous wealth and political clout to push their ungodly agenda
- that God would put mature Christians in places of government or leadership
- specific prayers for organizations such as American Center for Law and Justice to continue their work to try to preserve our eroding rights as Christians
- for organizations that preserve life such as Pregnancy Support Centers
- for our schools, teachers, students, school boards and administration
- for educational policies being decided by politicians and powerful companies instead of educators
- for several of our laws which border on being unconstitutional
- for a meeting ground between conservative and liberal politicians and leaders
- for God's Church that we would be representatives and ambassadors for Christ
- for our health care laws to be fair and equitable
- for global issues affecting the United states
- for those in America who have suffered the loss of their rights because of their Christian beliefs
- for those dying for their faith in other countries and whose humanitarian rights are disregarded by other nations
- for a return to the true doctrines of Jesus Christ and our faith, while embracing our brothers and sisters (hating the sin, but loving the sinner, which we all once were)
- your own personal, family, church, town, cities needs
- revival in our churches and in our personal relationship with God
- repentance for the sins of our nation and our own transgressions