Nevada can legitimately lay claim to some of the most absurd, unusual, and downright unique events and experiences in the world. This is Travel Nevada’s list of some of the must-see upcoming events.
1. Cocktails and Cannons (aka Cave Lake Bathtub Races): June 28, 2014 in Ely at Cave Lake State Park. This is an event unlike any other. The event starts early on a late June morning with the roaring engines of the bathtubs. Yes, bathtubs. Competitors convert bathtubs into boats and race them across the lake.
2. Burning Man: August 25, 2014 - September 1, 2014 in Black Rock Desert. Tens of thousands of people gather to create Black Rock City, a temporary metropolis dedicated to community, art, self-reliance and self-expression.
3. International Camel (and Ostrich) Races: September 5-7, 2014 in Virginia City. This annual tradition features camel, ostrich and emu racing as jockeys from around the globe converge to compete for trophies and bragging rights. This one-of-a kind event takes place atop a historic mining quarry and promises to be a weekend full of fun, laughs and friendly competition.
4. World Championship Outhouse Races: October 4-5, 2014 in Virginia City. The hilarious event pits teams of costumed outhouse racers against each other. One person rides and the remaining team members push, pull or drag the decorated outhouses down the racetrack. This is great fun for the whole family! This event is free to the public and is quite the spectacle.
5. Ghost Hunting: Experience REAL paranormal activity in Virginia City. Ghost Adventures has filmed there, and it has been in the running to be named America’s most haunted town by the SyFy Channel. Are you ready? We can share a frightening itinerary for your readers.
6. Electric Daisy Carnival: June 20-22, 2014 in Las Vegas Motor Speedway. EDC combines the world's most renowned dance music talent with leading-edge production to create an unparalleled experience of sight and sound that you have to encounter to believe. Now hosted annually as a three-day event, it is one of the nation’s largest music festivals, and North America’s largest dance music event.