Just how do you avoid working on vacation?
Though my Christmas break from work has begun, I find myself spending 20 to 30 minutes a day on the computer, checking work email, tweeting for various accounts, all in an effort not to feel totally overwhelmed once I’m back in the office after the New Year. I also do it to keep up the momentum of newly created Twitter accounts.
Is this what other professionals deem a "working vacation?" Once you assume responsibilities that no one else at your business attends to, how easy, or possible, is it to truly unplug?
- I never carry my laptop on international trips.
- I have an awesome assistant who handles all of my phone messages, email, snail mail and website issues while I’m traveling.
- I carry books (usually digital versions) and I take time to read rather than surfing the internet.
- I don’t Tweet or log in to Facebook when I’m traveling.
- If I’m traveling without Jon, we set up times when we can connect via phone or Skype
I gotta get on that assistant thing …