Not all Universal Life Churches are alike. There are only two actual churches, the Universal Life Church of Modesto, CA. and the Universal Life Church World Headquarters of Boca Raton and/or Carrabelle, FL. The Florida Universal Life Church is a much larger Church boasting a multi million dollar corporate headquarters in Boca Raton, Florida, they also have their own radio station and their outreach extends throughout the world. Brother Michael is the President and Presiding Bishop and he splits his time between Boca Raton and the rectory in Carrabelle, FL.
There are many other Universal Life Church websites, however these other websites are spinoffs or ministers of the respective churches in California or Florida. The only two actual churches that hold services and are brick n'mortar buildings are these two Universal Life Churches.
The biggest difference between the two is the Universal Life Church World Headquarters is non-denominational and it ordains men or women within a traditional doctrine of faith. The Universal Life Church of Modesto, California has no traditional doctrine of faith, as a result their ministers are not recognized as real faith based ministers, and in some states and in many countries their ministers are not even able to officiant weddings. The Universal Life Church World Headquarters is recognized throughout the USA and the world and their ministers have had no problems being able to officiate weddings.
The Universal Life Church World Headquarters is very outspoken about the fact this California based Universal Life Church ordains followers of satan, pagans, atheists and other godless beliefs. The Universal Life Church of Modesto has a huge problem with Christians and those who believe in Jesus Christ. The founder of this non-Christian church, Kirby Hensley had this to say about Christians and note how he even called his own ministers kooks:
- Among his more memorable comments: Sourced From: Modesto Bee Newspaper
- I always stand for freedom, food and sex. That's all there is. It sets people free.
- Jesus was a good actor.
- The Bible "is full of lies from one end to the other."
- It's a thin line dividing genius and idiot. I think I'm on the genius side.
- We're coming up on the 21st century and there's not one verse of Scripture in the Bible that will take you beyond the 20th century.
- I believe I was a comedian and two-bit lawyer (in an earlier life) because I've had more lawsuits than anybody.
- I just want to raise all the hell I can, and get all the kooks and what-have-you as churches; then they (the government) will have to tax them all.
In 1968, he ran for president; one of his platforms was "civil treatment for visitors from other worlds." The following year, he ran for governor. In 1984, he declared the birth of a new nation — his church. In 1986, he celebrated his coronation in the "Kingdom of Aqualandia" and offered a combo deal: kingdom citizenship and a ministerial charter for $35.
I guess it comes down to if you believe in Jesus Christ and God, get ordained by the Universal Life Church World Headquarters of Boca Raton and/or Carrabelle, Florida. If you believe in no god or gods, get ordained by the Universal Life Church of Modesto, CA.