Unemployment extensions: 2.5 million and counting have lost benefits

Employment is all anyone wants
Employment is all anyone wants
mateo0.com

While the Senate has been busy with shall we say, more important matters, The Wall Street Journal reports that over 2.5 million unemployed workers have lost their federal unemployment benefits.

That's 2,502,02 unemployed workers and their families to be exact.

A long awaited vote on the federal unemployment benefits is expected to take place on Tuesday afternoon, some say at exactly 2:30 pm, after a replacement for the late Senator Robert Bryd (West Virginia), Carte Goodwin is sworn in.

Goodwin, a Democrat is expected to cast the 60th vote that is need to pass the bill.

Regarding "back-pay" the Wall Street Journal says

"As the partisan gridlock kept the Senate from acting, some $2.76 billion in payments to the unemployed were held back. The legislation is likely to include retroactive payments, but that is little relief for many of the jobless who needed the money immediately.

Jobless benefits also provide one of the best sources of government stimulus, since nearly all of the payouts are spent quickly. To be sure, the $2.76 billion is little more than a rounding error in an economy that saw consumers spend $9.235 trillion last year. But it’s also just a tiny fraction of a $3.552 trillion 2010 federal budget."

Back home, the Boston Globe reports that Senator Scott Brown is complaining that his version of the jobless bill was never given consideration by the Democrats.

As Brown is quoted in the  Boston Globe:

“Why is it that I’m always the one that has to vote with the Democrats?’’ Brown lamented. “Bipartisanship is a two-way street, you know? Why can’t they also work together to pay for these things within the budget, within the monies that we already have? Why is it that we always have to add to the deficit?’’

Brown's plan included using federal stimulus money, earmarked for railroad and transportation projects, including money for Massachusetts to update the T stops at Revere and Wonderland, a commuter rail extension to Fitchburg and bridges in New Bedford.

In Brown's plan was also a freeze on food stamp increases, Medicaid pricing for certain prescription drugs and summer jobs programs.

Do you think Brown will vote yea or nay for on Tuesday?

Keep those comments coming - I read them all!

Please keep in mind that the bill expected to be voted on by the Senate does note provide an additional tier of unemployment.  It does extend the time unemployed Americans can apply for tiers one through four.

If you enjoyed reading this, please subscribe!  No spam, only articles from my Examiner page.

* If you are a "99-er" and would like me to tell your story, please email me at cec921@gmail.com

Comments

• Visitor 4 years ago

Good info, Cecelia, thanks!

• mwb 4 years ago

So according to this article, brown wants to put a "freeze" on the help some of qualify for too !! This sounds like he would like to bring the unemployment numbers to a more "acceptable" level by killing UC claimants off by removing any means of survival left.

• P. 4 years ago

Hopefully an extention will come soon. I monitor and apply for investment bank job everyday and no one reply back. State Street, my former employee does nothire and outsider but yet post many positions everyday. There is something wrong with the system here. They don't lay off but they don'thire either but why do they post new jobs that has ben filled internally ?

I do not understand. I have MBA and 10 yrs of experiences but yet still looking for job and unemployed for 15 months.

huh.. :(

• Art 4 years ago

I need help. I can't make it on my own. I need help! I am not smart enough. I am not able to work hard enough. I can't find a job. The jobs are not there. I have looked. I have looked. Send me a check. I need help! Send me money. I need help. Send me money. More money. More money. Keep it coming. I need more. I neeed more. I can't make it on my own. I'm not smart enough to make it on my own. I need help. Send me money!

• SolitaryParent 4 years ago

~SolitaryParent

Hmmmm...Where do I start? I was laid off towards the end of 2008, went on interview after interview after interview. I registered with a number of staffing agencies, when I would call the agencies they would tell me, it's really slow right now, no jobs are coming in, this is the part that Congress pretend to be unaware of. It wasn't until stimulus dollars were put out there before companies began hiring again, a lot of the jobs that were created are temporary jobs. I'm a single parent taking care of 3 children, I have totally and completely depleted my savings since I've been laid off. I worked as a contractor and was paid weekly. I was the Executive Assistant for two VP's) prior to being laid off, my bring home pay after taxes was over $1,000 per week, when I worked overtime, I was at $1,200+ per week AND I was receiving child support in the amount of $400 per month. I wasn't wealthy, but I was comfortable. Read More - Wordpress, SolitaryParent

• Mary 4 years ago

I am very upset that the Senators that are saying the Amerian people are seeking unemployment are lazy. They are the individuals who permitted our jobs to go to other countries. They were also aware of the millions of dollsrs that we owed China during the previous administrations. We are the working people who have worked for many years and lost our health care,jobs,homes because they supported the NAFTA bill to pass.