1. Life
  2. Careers & Workplace
  3. Unemployment

Unemployed urged to sign petition for Tier V unemployment benefits

On April 20, 2010, this writer interviewed Issa Decker, who created the petition to add Tier V unemployment benefits.  Ms. Decker, who lives in California, believes Congress has failed to help the long-term unemployed because there is no powerful voice speaking for the unemployed.  Ms. Decker is determined to let Congress know that they are ignoring powerful and increasing organized voice -- unemployed Americans.

As background, Ms. Decker explained that there are two roadblocks to passage of legislation to assist the long-term unemployed.  First, Ms. Decker, who is among the long-term unemployed, found that calls to her Congressional representatives were met with indifference.  Ms. Decker stated that she was told, again and again, that "nobody is calling" us about extending unemployment benefits.  Ms. Decker realized that phone messages left with staffers and interns lacked political muscle and that the main "roadblock" is the absence of a strong voice advocating for the unemployed.

Second, Americans "conceptually" view unemployment benefits as "welfare."  This perspective casts a stigma on the unemployed.  Ms. Decker found that her family and friends view her unemployment benefits as welfare Ms. Decker stated that Americans and politicians must be reminded that the workers are receiving unemployment "insurance" earned by working.  Since a person's eligibility for unemployment stems from their last quarter wage earnings, people who have not worked cannot receive unemployment benefits.  Ms. Decker urges the unemployed to remember that they have earned their benefits just as workers earn social security benefits.

As a result, Ms. Decker wanted to organize the voice of the unemployed to motivate Congress to act on this issue.  Ms. Decker create the Petition for Tier V located at www.change.org. If you sign the petition, it will be sent to your state's congressional representatives as well as the political leaders for the House and the Senate.  Ms. Decker urges everyone to sign the petition to let our elected leaders know the unemployed are a united political voice that should not be ignored.  Equally important, Ms. Decker urges you to encourage others to sign the petition.

You can also support each other at Facebook.com,  Also check out www.unemployed-friends.com.

Next: Ms. Decker and unemployment insurance

Stay Tuned:  metropolitan area unemployment statistics due today, Friday, April 26, 2010.  Press the subscribe button above to stay up to date on Tier V, unemployment, jobs and the economy.  Find me on twitter@IndyUEexaminer.  Also, send your thoughts, ideas, comments to Ellen.Corcella@yahoo.com.  Thank you for following your Indianapolis Unemployment Examiner.

Comments

• j cooper 4 years ago

I am hoping they extend benefits into a Tier 5 I have worked all my life, and just can't seem to find employment, I'm 60 years old, too young to draw SS and too old to get hired. I worked since I was 15 years old, my benefits will expire June 5th. Please extend these benefits for people like myself so that we can survive. Sincerely

• bob 4 years ago

i also have worked all my life and in 2 weeks i will have no more benefits and don't know what i will do to support my family. i tried Burger spots and coffee stops and i can not even get a job there i will soon be outside with my family please help

• eroomk 4 years ago

Great article. Despite laws, age bias exists and there are thousands of 50 and 60 year olds unemployed that are too young to retire and too old to compete in this market!

• dawn 4 years ago

The same Senators, on both sides of the isle, are the same Senators that are on the committee that are "looking" at whether or not Senators wages whould be frozen until unemployment is stable. Well, it is NOT stable and yet their wages are not in the least bit frozen. We need to unite and let them know we are watching and VOTING!!! No more if this!!!

• dawn 4 years ago

The Senators that are blocking this V tier are the ones on the committee for exploring if the wages should be frozen or not. They are not fooling anyone

• Angel 4 years ago

Just a reminder:

Call /email your senators for a Tier 5 UI extension!
    Google "U.S. Senators" and scroll for email address. Also call:

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid: 202-224-3542
    Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi: 202-225-4965
    Senator Max Baucus, D-Montana: 202-224-2651
    Senator Bill Nelson, D-Florida: 202-224-5274
    Senator Chuck Schumer, D-New York: 202-224-6542
    Senator Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky: 202-224-2541
    Senator John Kyl, R-Arizona: 202-224-4521
    Senator John Cornyn, R-Texas: 202-224-2934
    Senate switchboard: 1-888-245-0215

• Chris 4 years ago

I would like to thank you for doing an article regarding the petition. As of right now it is over 19,300 signatures and climbing. The major unemployment situation in our country should not be treated like the Hatfield & McCoys; the recently unemployed vs the long-term unemployed. Bill HR 4851 should have included jobless benefits for ALL the unemployed including the long-term. Our government is once again turning their backs on the thousands of long-term unemployed throughout our country. The vast majority are older men and women who have spent their life as a loyal employee: These are the men and women, dads and moms, who have helped to make our Country great.

The Administration and Congress argues about extending benefits, while the unemployed of our Country suffer. They say they don't want our children and grandchildren to have to pay the huge deficit in our country; yet they do not seem to worry about the children in families who have lost their benefits, and facing th

• Carol 4 years ago

People in their late fifties and early sixties are caught in a trap. Like many, my husband has worked all his life only to find himself laid off. Despite countless resumes sent, he has not even been able to get one interview. So, again like many, he finds himself too young to retire and too old to compete in this market. Unemployment benefits pay the bills, but they will run out in a couple of weeks with no sign of additional weeks or a fifth tier being added.

• BRIAN MANK 4 years ago

WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE FOR THE GOVERNMENT TO EXTEND UNEMPLOYMENT(CREATE TIER V) SO THAT I CAN PAY MY TAXES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THE GOOD FOLKS DOWN AT THE UNEMPLOYMENT CENTER DO NOT HOLD ANY TAXES BACK, THUS WHEN YOU MAKE 16K IN UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS IN 2009 AND THEN YOUR EXTENDED BENEFITS RUN OUT IN THE BEGINNING OF 2010…. YOU HAVE A PROBLEM… YOU HAVE BEEN EATING, SLEEPING, FLUSHING TOILETS, TURNING ON/OFF HEAT AND LIGHTS…. BARELY MAKING IT FINANCIALLY, NOW I HAVE TO PAY MY TAXES ON MY UNEMPLOYMENT INCOME AND NOW I AM VERY SCARED… NO MONEY LEFT PAY MY INCOME TAX!!!!!! HOW ABOUT EXTENDING ONE MORE TIME, CREATE TIER 5, MAKE IT LAW, GIVE SOME NOTICE, FOR EXAMPLE THIS IS THE LAST EXTENSION, AND ALLOW ME TO PAY MY TAXES BEFORE I AM SWEPT UNDER THE RUG! YOU CAN BET YOUR SWEET MULE, I WILL BE VOTING DURING THE NEXT ELECTIONS!!!!!!! HELP!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

• rubeN 4 years ago

Tier 5 is definitely needed right now. There's not a lot of jobs, but there is a definitely a tremendous amount of competition for them.

• Joan 4 years ago

It is so sad that we have to beg for money that we paid into. I worked in the Security Industry fo 30 years, I am 60 years old, have been sending out resume's since 2008.I've been on 3 interviews. We need Tier V

• Christine 4 years ago

FIGHT ON! They in Washington know that additional weeks of benefits added to Tier IV or a new Tier V, is needed desperately. All of 2009 Congress was fixated on HC reform that fixing the economy with a JOBS BILL was never done and so far in 2010 nothing NOTHING! has been done to jump-start this economy. I am 59 yrs old and have worked for 34yrs but loss my last F/T job in February 2008, I exhausted Tier IV 2 weeks ago and will be homeless in weeks without a Tier IV. I wake up every morning and review the 7 job link emails I get every day PLUS I search further on my own in addition to attending JOB FAIRS. I WANT TO WORK! Where are the JOBS! We did JOBS! We did a TIER V TO SURVIVE! Those that criticize the Longer long-term jobless, please remember this: "ITS EASIER TO KICK THOSE THAT ARE DOWN THAN IT IS TO HOLD THOSE ACCOUNTABLE THAT PUT THEM THERE"

• just wondering 4 years ago

NELP…you do not help with political and Johnny come lately info. You are either undercover politics, or have been pulled into the mirage of.

Ponder People- WHO benefits when main street (you)sells one house for the down payment to buy another with the monies, make payments for years….then suddenly this mess happens…just to loose it?

WHO ENDS UP WITH YOUR MONIES AND HOUSE? BANKS!!!….they have the monies from your first house sale, maybe extra for downpayment on the new house, renovations, all the years of paying,,,,,,and hell….you may end up even owing after the short sale or forclosure sale….WHO will you owe????? THE BANKS!!!! Don’t cha get it?

YOU ARE TO BLAME-the banks, politicians and news media wish you to believe ‘you’ should not have qualified in the first place. That it was your fault. IT WAS NOT YOUR FAULT PEOPLE!!!!

Just a well thought out scheme for the rich to get richer, and the poor to get poorer……and looks like it is playing out very well……

Ignorant main st

• just wondering 4 years ago

NOW LET ME ASK A FEW FINAL QUESTIONS FOR YOU TO PONDER……now WE ALL know the unemployment figures are juggled to fit into whatever situation whomever wants…..the reality is….

With millions of people loosing benefits, homes, cars, insurance or just basic needs======= please remember folks, this figure does NOT include the TOTAL HOUSEHOLD count that this mess is rendering.

It does not include anyone living with that unemployed person/persons going without shelter, food, or healthcare. The grandparents, children, other family members and yes even pets.

(Hell, the effect this has had on pets has recieved more news coverage than what it has done to families.)

Now, with MILLIONS loosing benefits without a shred of hope and can not find a job….ponder exactly what could happen here in America.
    Hhhmmmmmm…what could happen…..? Hhmmmm…
    Yes…..you better lock your doors and hold on tight.

Nope, not crazy, it is all a reality here in America.
    Americans and America have been sold out

• Angel 4 years ago

I think the ones hurting the most from this mess are the older workers—40's on up. Maybe the younger ones aren't feeling it the way we are because they are getting the jobs sooner. For every job there are scores of people applying for it, so younger people have preference. Not fair. But it is probably how it is. We have to be creative to take care of ourselves but believe me it's not easy when you have not much to work with. We didn't create this mess so I don't feel guilty asking for a Tier 5—even a few extra months would help. Also these message boards help figure out I am not alone. There is nothing wrong with me that I'm not getting a job. It's the economy. Remember this coming weekend fax the senators http: //joblessunite.yolasite.com/m-a-y-d-a-y. php Hope it helps.

• janet 4 years ago

well MOTHER'S DAY MAY9,2010! I SHOULD BE CELEBRATING MOTHER'S DAY BUT I CAN'T. I HAVE NOTHING TO CELEBRATE. I'VE BEEN WORKING SINCE I WAS 18 YEARS OLD...I'M 55 YEARS OLD NOW. MY UNEMPLOYMENT IS NOW MY INCOME DUE TO JOB DOWNSIZING. I CAN'T EVEN GET HIRED AT MCDONALDS!!!! PRETTY SAD. MY LANDLORD WILL BE EVICTING ME SOON BECAUSE MY HUSBAND'S UNEMPLOYMENT IS RUNNING OUT AND THERE DOESN'T LOOK LIKE ANY EXTENSION LEFT.HE'S AT TIER4 NOW.
    I HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING TO PAY MY HEATING BILLS,ELECTRIC BILLS,RENT ECT. NOW IN JUNE THEY TELL US WE NEED TO GET CAR INSURANCE AND MEDICAL OR GET FINED. WELL GUESS WHAT? I GUESS I'LL GET FINED. I HAVE NO EXTRA MONEY. I NEED TO FIND A PLACE TO LIVE AND I NEED TO EAT. THE SENATORS SHOULD LIVE ON A $300.00 A WEEK CHECK AND TRY TO PAY THE BILLS I HAVE. WE NEED UNMPLOYMENT TO AT LEAST HAVE A CHANE TO SURVIVE. THERE ARE NO JOBS AND THE ONES AVAILABLE ARE BEING GIVEN TO YOUNGER PEOPLE. WHAT HAPPENS TO ALL THE MOTHER'S UNEMPLOYED? WELL HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL!!!!

• a.jones 4 years ago

I want to commend the senators that are fighting for ADVOCATING THE PASSING OF A TIER V/EXTENSION IN UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS. I believe in God and I know that those who are fighting for the unemployed will reap what they have sown (God's Blessings)but those senators who do nothing a reject the cries of the people will feel the raft of God. Everyone I want you to know that God hears our cries. Pray...God is our number 1 boss AND he provides all that we need in time. Those people who are not helping and turn their heads up in reckless disregard of the needs of the unemployed will suffer. This is God's test. Will the U.S. help the needs of the suffering people? If they don't, all will be remembered. God forgive them as they know not what they do. So, I say to those in office who do nothing about passing a TIER V, YOUR TIME IS COMING!!!!!!! GOD ALWAYS WINS! We all reap what we sow!

• gkaxkqvcvk 4 years ago