Some people become confused at the similarity of racial and national cultures as compared to ethnic cultures. The easiest way to clarify the difference is to consider that racial groups spread across many nations, national cultures are limited to a single nation and ethnicity relates to a common heritage.
Consider the Hispanic population. All Hispanic subcultures can be traced back to Spain. The base language is Spanish regardless of whether it is a Catalonian, Mexican or Cuban dialect which is now spoken. Despite the common heritage and similar language there are definite differences between Hispanics and Spain, Latin America and the Caribbean islands. Across all these subcultures there is the common heritage that ties back to Spain and whether the national culture had an impact because they were a Spanish conquered nation or the Spanish conquering nation the common thread of being Hispanic runs deep.
- Indian (So. Asian)
- Eastern European
©2014 Max Impact, used with permission.
- Employment Diversity in Michigan, a human resources networking group on LinkedIn.
- Cultural roadmap, look at the contents of the character within each of us.
- Cultural Faux Pas and Culture Quizzes are interesting quizzes to test your diversity knowledge.
- Max Impact offers free leadership training and development materials.
- Keep your workforce motivated with these motivational quotes.
- Diversity books and training materials.
Learn more about today’s generations: