One of the most important cultural distinctions is religion. These are thousands of religions around the world with the three largest only accounting for less than two-thirds of the world’s total population. Although most believe in a single deity some are philosophy based. Where a deity is the focal point of religion God is the omnipresent creator of the Heavens and Earth. This includes Christian, Muslim and Judaism, which make up half the globe’s population.
Regardless of an individual's religious views, their religious belief is typically held with strong conviction. This makes bridging the differences difficult as people typically do not to be proselytized by a member of another religion. Many inter-religious friendships are only possible when the individuals agree to accept the other person’s beliefs as valid for the other person without being compelled to join into the religious ceremonies or tenants.
It is important to be aware of the nature of religious cultures as it permeates our neighborhoods, workplace, customer pool, and suppliers.
With hundreds of religions in the world this can be a daunting task, if not impossible. From a bridge building aspect, it is therefore important to concentrate on one or two specific religions to begin your own bridge building.
Predominant religion subcultures
- Christian, 33.03% of the world population.
- Muslim, 20.12%
- Hinduism, 13.34%
- Buddhism, 5.89%
- atheism, 2.36%
- Sikhism, 0.39%
- Judaism, 0.23%
This is part of a series on the cultures of religions excerpted from getmaximpact.com of Rochester Hills, Mich. It looks at Christian, Muslim, Hinduism, Buddhism, atheism, Sikhism, and Judaism. To view more religions, click here. It is used by their permission.
©2014 Max Impact, used with permission.
- Employment Diversity in Michigan, a human resources networking group on LinkedIn.
- Cultural roadmap, look at the contents of the character within each of us.
- Cultural Faux Pas and Culture Quizzes are interesting quizzes to test your diversity knowledge.
- Max Impact offers free leadership training and development materials.
- Keep your workforce motivated with these motivational quotes.
- Diversity books and training materials.