Skin around your eyes is very thin. In fact, it is about ten times thinner than skin on the rest of your face, as it has the lowest amount of fat underneath the surface.
Signs of ageing including baggy eyes, sagging, and wrinkles will almost always start and become more noticeable around the eye area. Your eyes can be very expressive and the lines on those expressions eventually dig deeper into the skin to start forming fine lines.
The delicate skin around your eyes can be very sensitive, and the slightest change in your lifestyle or beauty regimen will almost always result to wrinkles, eye puffiness, or dark circles on skin surrounding your eyes. Therefore, if you want to keep looking in your 20s even when you are 40, you have to pay more attention to how well or how poorly you are treating skin around your eyes.
Below are some of the dos and don’ts to effectively care for skin within your eye area.
Eye Skin Care Dos:
- Know your skin type. Before any further discussion, it is a must for you to know your skin type so that you know which eye skin care product is most suited for you. Almost any skin care product, including eye care creams, will have distinct formulations that fit normal, oily, and dry skin types. If your skin is evenly toned and you hardly get pimples, you are likely to have normal skin. If you notice shine on your face throughout the day, particularly on your T-zone, you are likely to have oily skin. If you notice flaking and more pronounced pores on your skin, your skin must be dry.
- Keep eye skin clean. Use mild facial cleansers to remove dirt and excess oils. Refrain from using alcohol-based astringents and go for toners instead.
- Apply eye creams and moisturizers at daytime and night time. As much as possible, choose a moisturizer that is organic, free from harmful chemicals, and free from artificial colors and odors, particularly when you have sensitive skin. For daytime, make sure that your moisturizer contains at least an SPF30 to help protect your skin from harmful UV rays. You should also look for an SPF30 when choosing the perfect daytime eye cream that suits you.
For your eye cream, read the label carefully and look for active ingredients like Acetyl-hexapeptide-8, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Arnica, Co-enzyme Q10, Haloxyl, and hyaluronic acid which have been proven to help reduce signs of ageing including puffiness and dark circles around the eyes.Always choose products that incorporate powerful antioxidants like Vitamins A, C, E and K.
- Exfoliate regularly. The only way younger, more radiant skin will show is to take away old, dead skin from the skin surface. Make sure that skin around your eyes is well exfoliated as well to help prevent dark circles from forming and improve the appearance of fine lines.
- Lead a healthy lifestyle. If you really want to keep your skin beautiful and young looking for longer, eat well, keep fit, do not smoke, do not drink alcohol, and sleep well.
Eye Skin Care Don’ts
- Never leave eye make up on. Make sure to meticulously take off your make up before going to bed. Eye makeup can be more challenging to remove. Never directly use water or alcohol-based makeup removers to take off your makeup. Always use an oil-based makeup remover or, use your moisturizer or a mild lotion. This way, make up more easily attaches to your cotton ball and you do not need to rub off and unnecessarily irritate or scratch your skin in the process.
- Never let eye skin left dry. Keep your skin, including eye skin, well hydrated all the time. Lack of moisture is the primary cause of developing fine lines and wrinkles. Make sure you have your moisturizer and eye cream on all day and all night-long.
- Never use makeup with harmful ingredients. Eye makeup products can be particularly harsh and potentially harmful to your eyes. Always read the label and go for products that use natural ingredients and that have been organically prepared. Don’t even wear makeup if you don’t have to like when you’ll just be staying home.
There is really no unveiled magic to keep your eyes beautiful and your skin younger looking for longer. There are only skin regimens that you must religiously follow to get that soft, glowing radiance.