If you missed the UNCC Botanical Gardens plant sale, be sure to drop by this afternoon between 10:00am and 4:00pm today. There are still some lovely plants to take home, and many have been marked down in price. A good selection of flowering perennials are still available. The plant sale also features many native plants as well as plants suited to shaded gardens.
Shaded gardens can be lovely, but require plants that thrive without a lot of sunlight. Several shade loving plants, many of which are natives, were still available yesterday at the UNCC plant sale.
- Hydrangea bushes are available is several colors, and will brighten up a shade garden.
- Variagated Solomon's Seal has lovely green leaves about 3' long that are streaked with cream. They initially need moisture, but can tolerate dry soil after they are established. The flowers are fragrant and the plants produce berries in the summer.
- Brandywine Foam Flower is a native plant which can grow in shade or part shade. It grows between 12" and 18" tall, and has light, airy flowers.
- Several ferns are still available, including the Cinnamon Fern and the Northern Lady Fern.
- London Gove Bue Phlox (pictured above) grows a lovely blue flower in shade to part shade.
- Several native plants that are shade loving groundcovers, such as the Toothwart, are still available.
- Coleus has bright colored leaves that add color to the shade garden. Ask the volunteer at the plant sale for more information about the height of each variety available.
For directions to the greenhouse, see the UNCC Botanical Garden web site.
If you enjoyed this article, become a subscriber! Just select the "Subscribe" icon near my picture. You will receive e-mail notifications of each article as they are posted. Be among the first to know of the upcoming gardening events in Charlotte.