Targeted toward minority and underrepresented populations and purposefully designed to expose high school students to health science career options, the University of Missouri Kansas City will again offer the Hospital Hill Health Science Camp.
This year-long academy provides a one week on-campus residential experience during the summer (Sunday, June 9 - Friday, June 14) and three on-campus meetings throughout the school year (October, January, and April).
Selected students will learn about professional opportunities in dentistry, nursing, and pharmacy by participating in experiential learning activities, touring health profession schools, and receiving academic enrichment.
To be eligible for the UMKC Hospital Hill Health Science Camp, applicants must:
- have an interest in learning about careers in dentistry, nursing, or pharmacy
- have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above
- be a rising high school sophomore, junior, or senior (2013-2014 academic year)
Click here to download the application. The application requires:
- completed application form
- brief essay about pursuing a career in either dentistry, nursing, or pharmacy
- official high school transcripts
- letter of recommendation from a guidance counselor, teacher, coach, etc.
There is a $25 non-refundable application fee, but for students who are accepted, there is no additional cost for participating in the program.
The deadline to apply for admission is Tuesday, April 2. Late or incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applicants will be notified of acceptance into the program by May 1.
For questions or to request additional information, contact:
- John Cottrell (Dentistry) at (816) 235-2085 or via email
- Onekia Deleon (Nursing) at (816) 235-8838 or via email
- Tracy Parker-Gray (Pharmacy) at (816) 235-5734 or via email
**To read additional Examiner articles written by Steph Hart, click here or visit Essential Elements: Comprehensive College Planning. In addition, you may find Steph on Facebook and Twitter. Steph is also the Director of College Counseling at Cristo Rey Kansas City High School.