Ulcerative colitis is an inflammation of the large intestine. If you want to know more about this disease, this article is for you. Before giving you the details about its treatment, we will first list some helpful facts about ulcerative colitis.
CAUSE OF ULCERATIVE COLITIS
Up to now, the cause of ulcerative colitis is still not known. However, experts believe that there are a lot of factors that may increase the risk of developing this disease. The first factor is the immune system. Some studies suggest that viral or bacterial infection may trigger the development of ulcerative colitis. The second factor is genetics. If you have a close relative with this condition, there is a high probability that you will also have it. Third are the environment factors that include diet, hygiene and air pollution.
In order to diagnose ulcerative colitis, you will need to have the symptoms associated with the disease. For diagnostic purposes, you may be asked to undergo sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy.
Symptoms of this disease include, but not limited to the following:
• Rectal bleeding
• Abdominal pain that can be likened to cramping
• Loss of appetite
The cure for ulcerative colitis will depend on what symptoms are present. We will be listing a guide that you may follow to help you with the management of symptoms.
• If you have diarrhea, you will be prescribed anti-diarrheal medications.
• If you are suffering from constipation, you may be asked to use suppositories. It will depend on the severity of your condition.
• For the inflammation of the intestines, you will be given aminosalicylates. They also help keep ulcerative colitis in remission.
• If you have an active disease, you may be given steroids.