Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

UIW still searching for first win

Noah Keats on the ball for UIW
Noah Keats on the ball for UIW
courtesy UIW Athletics

The losses just keep coming for UIW, although they are both getting closer as both their men and women's teams fell to a 2-1 loss as the men fell to Central Arkansas and the women lost to New Mexico State on Sunday.

It was a tight match for the men as they couldn't take advantage of the ten shots that they had, beating UCA in that statistic, but just not proving clinical enough.

UIW started the match well, having all the early chances but Central Arkansas were having the better chances and it was the Bears who scored the opener.

The goal came in the 24th minute as the Cardinals failed to run up from the back to try and meet a long ball in from Harrison Veith which allowed Wes Carson to run in and volley it over the keeper.

But UIW responded and the match evened out after the goal as UIW kept going for the match and had their chances before they found an equalizer in the 36th minute.

With the Cardinals defending high, it allowed that transition from defense to attack to happen much faster and Noah Keats took advantage as a deflection fell to the Englishman at the top of the box, allowing him to hit a powerful volley for his first career goal, the last real action of the half as the sides headed to the break 1-1.

The Second half was practically all Bears, but the Cardinals defense was holding firm and keeping UCA out for much of the half.

UIW had a solid opportunity in the 63rd minute as Andrew Grossman was able to find space and shoot but sent his effort over the bar.

Seven minutes later the Bears were able to find the winner as a Manuel Montal free-kick found Logan Miller who headed it home.

The women remain winless as they fell to a 2-1 loss at Los Cruces, New Mexico to New Mexico State after a tight match as they tried to come back but fell short.

The Aggie started the match well but their wayward shooting cost them too much as they couldn't find the target, despite all their possession and chances.

The goal finally did come in the 22nd minute as Layla Todd sent in a ball for Jennae Cambra who buried the chance to open the scoring for the Aggies.

New Mexico State continued to attack the Cardinals but they just could not break through for a second goal, which kept it at 1-0 at the break.

It took just four minutes in to the second half for the Aggies to add to their lead as the Todd, Cambra combination paid off again with Cambra sealing her brace.

But from there UIW started to fight back and in the 65th minute they were able to pull a goal back as Tayler Hammack's effort was saved by the keeper, only for Alexis Santos to run on to it and tap home the rebound.

The Cardinals fought for the rest of the match but unfortunately for UIW they couldn't find a goal as both sides still search for their first win of the year.

Report this ad