University of Houston Clear Lake’s Autism Speakers Series for 2014-2015 will launch on September 13. The series is currently being sponsored by Hegwood & Associates, P.C., JSC Federal Credit Union, Spectrum of Hope/BASIS, InKids, and Susie Bean Gives.
The series offers free lectures (along with free lunch and free continuing education credits for teachers) once a month from September 2014 through April 2015. The lectures are held from 10.30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. in the Lecture Hall (Room 1100) of the UHCL Student Services Building, located at 2700 Bay Area Blvd in Houston, TX 77058.
While the lectures – and lunches – are free, registration is required to ensure enough seating and lunch.
To register, visit the link at
The September 13 presentation will be given by Amy Morgan Wood, Pharm.D., BCOP, who is the President and Scientific Advisor for Families for Effective Autism Treatment (FEAT) – Houston. Her presentation will be on “Evidence-Based Treatment of Autism: Perspectives from a Parent with a Scientific Point of View.” The presentation by Dr. Wood, who is also a parent of a child with autism, is meant to help families with newly diagnosed children who are unsure of which therapies may be of the most benefit for their child. She will focus on ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis) and will discuss “how ABA has been applied in her family’s daily life to improve both her son’s and the family’s quality of life.” The presentation will include video clips of her son to help demonstrate the use of ABA in real-world settings.
Please RSVP no later than September 8 for the September 13 presentation.
Future topics and presenters include
- October 11: Rewards As Tools for Success: Using Reinforcement Effectively with Molly Shireman
- November 15: I Don’t Want To Do That! Reducing Problem Behavior To Escape or Avoid Things with Tarah Bowser
- December 13: I Want it Now! Reducing Problem Behavior to Get Attention and Tangibles with Blair Edwards
- January 24: Sexuality Education for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities with Elizabeth Boggess
- February 21: Taking the Fight Out of Feeding: Managing Problems at Mealtimes with Conrad Hillman
- March 28: Let’s Talk about Your Day! Teaching People to Recall Past Events with Shimin Bao
- April 11: Naturalistic Teaching Strategies for Home and School with Taylor Sweatt and Ashley Neal