According to a Jan. 15 report from MMA Junkie, Luke Rockhold (10-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) is set to battle Costas Philippou (12-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) in the main event of UFC Fight Night 35, which takes place at Arena at Gwinnett Center in Duluth, Georgia.
Rockhold, 29, knows he's in for a tough fight against a grizzled veteran such as Philippou.
“Costa’s a good, solid boxer who knows how to gauge the distance and keep the fight where he wants it for the most part,” Rockhold said. “Carmont definitely exposed a weakness in his game. … He’s got to get through my arsenal of strikes, and the thing is, if he gets too close, he might just trip and fall into a guillotine or a ground-and-pound situation.
“This is not a good time to fight me,” he said. “It’s the wrong place and wrong time to be fighting me. Now it’s time for me to do my thing here. I didn’t come here to be second best or to just be a journeyman. I came here to be the best – the best of the best.”
With a victory, Rockhold is hoping to inch closer to a rematch with Vitor Belfort.
“The Vitor loss was tough – it’s a tough one to suck up,” Rockhold said. “I’ve somewhat moved on, and I’m focused on what’s ahead of me, but it’s definitely still something (I think about). … I think I can definitely rewrite that story a little better, and I’d like a rematch somewhere down the line. Obviously I’m tired of people talking about that kick.”
In the UFC Fight Night 35 co-main, Lorenz Larkin (185) and Brad Tavares (185) meet in a key middleweight tilt.
UFC Fight Night 35, which airs on Fox Sports 1 at 7 p.m., also features a bantamweight fight pitting hard-hitting knockout artist T.J. Dillashaw (135) against Mike Easton (135).
Here's a look at the full UFC Fight Night 35 weigh-in results:
- Luke Rockhold (185) vs. Costas Philippou (185)
- Lorenz Larkin (185) vs. Brad Tavares (185)
- T.J. Dillashaw (135) vs. Mike Easton (135)
- Yoel Romero Palacio (185) vs. Derek Brunson (185)
- Dustin Ortiz (124) vs. John Moraga (126)
- Cole Miller (145) vs. Sam Sicilia (145)
- Ramsey Nijem (155) vs. Justin Edwards (155)
- Isaac Vallie-Flagg (155) vs. Elias Silverio (155)
- Trevor Smith (186) vs. Brian Houston (185)
- Alptekin Ozkilic (125) vs. Louis Smolka (125)
- Vinc Pichel (155) vs. Garett Whiteley (156)
- Charlie Brenneman (155) vs. Beneil Dariush (156)