According to a Jan. 15 post from MMA Fighting, hard-hitting knockout artist Luke Rockhold (10-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) is set to fight Long Island's own Costas Philippou (12-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) in the main event of UFC Fight Night 35, which takes place at Arena at Gwinnett Center in Duluth, Georgia.
Philippou, 34, is a standout boxer who is known for his ability to impose his will on opponents. As for the 29-year-old Rockhold, he's a ground-and-pound expert.
In the UFC Fight Night 35 co-main event, standout 185-pounder Lorenz Larkin and Brad Tavares (185) meet in a key middleweight tilt that should determine who is a true title contender in the division.
UFC Fight Night 35, which airs on Fox Sports 1, also features a bantamweight fight pitting fast-rising MMA phenom T.J. Dillashaw (135) against Mike Easton (135).
UFC Fight Night 35 is already underway, and the first fight of the night ended in a hurry.
Beneil Dariush defeated Charlie Brenneman via submission at the 1:45 mark of the opening frame. Dariush caught his opponent in a tight rear-naked choke and Brenneman was forced to tapout.
The next two preliminary card fights went to decision, as Louis Smolka defeated Alptekin Ozkilic with a 29-28 on all three of the judge's scorecards and Vinc Pichel dominated Garrett Whiteley with a 30-27 across the board.
Also on the UFC Fight Night preliminary card, Trevor Smith earned a split-decision victory over Brian Houston and Elias Silverio defeated Isaac Vallie-Flagg via unanimous decision.
In the final UFC Fight Night 35 preliminary fight, Ramsey Nijem defeated Justin Edwards via unanimous decision.
The UFC Fight Night 35 main card opened with a victory by Cole Miller, as he stopped Sam Sicilia with a rear-naked choke at the 1:54 mark of the second round.
Here's a look at the full UFC Fight Night 35 results:
- Luke Rockhold vs. Constantinos Philippou
- Lorenz Larkin vs. Brad Tavares
- T.J. Dillashaw vs. Mike Easton
- Yoel Romero vs. Derek Brunson
- John Moraga def. Dustin Ortiz via split-decision
- Cole Miller def. Sam Sicilia via submission (rear-naked choke) at 1:54 of round 2
- Ramsey Nijem def. Justin Edwards via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28 x2)
- Elias Silverio def. Isaac Vallie-Flagg via unanimous decision (29-27 x3)
- Trevor Smith def. Brian Houston via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Louis Smolka def. Alptekin Ozkilic via unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Vinc Pichel def. Garrett Whiteley via unanimous decision (30-27 x3)
- Beneil Dariush def. Charlie Brenneman via submission (rear-naked choke) (1st, 1:45)