According to a Feb. 23 report from Yahoo! Sports, UFC bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey (9-0) defeated wrestling standout Sara McMann (7-1) in the UFC 170 main event at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nev.
Rousey, 27, needed just 66 seconds to earn the finish, as ref Herb Dean called a stop to the bout after McMann crumpled to the mat following a devastating knee to the liver.
It was a bit of a controversial ending, being that Dean was quick to stop the fight.
He didn't give McMann a chance to recover following the knee to the liver, but she wasn't exactly doing a great job defending herself in the seconds after the shot connected.
Since she wasn't defending herself, McMann didn't complain much about Dean stepping in when he did.
"I thought it was a good fight. I got hit in the liver, and no matter how hard you train, you can't get your liver stronger," McMann said in her post-fight interview. "I hope to get a rematch and come back here and put on a better fight. I was trying to get back up, but it's my own fault. I should've gotten back to my feet quicker."
In the UFC 170 co-main, Daniel Cormier had a quick stoppage of his own, finishing off UFC newcomer Patrick Cummins with a flurry of strikes in the opening frame.
“It had to happen this way. It could not have went the distance,” Cormier declared. “I’m even mad that he hit me twice after all the talking that he did.
“When you talk, you gotta be able to back it up. That’s what I do.”
Also on the UFC 170 main card, Rory MacDonald bounced back from two mediocre performances with a great showing against Demian Maia.
“I think if I overreacted and got stressed out against a guy of his caliber, it wouldn't take too long for him to put me away,” MacDonald said in his post-fight interview. “The animal is back. I'm ready to kick some ass. I'm ready to kill. I have my mindset back on track. I'm ready for that title.”
Here's a look at the full UFC 170 results:
- Ronda Rousey def. Sara McMann via TKO (strikes) — Round 1 (1:06)
- Daniel Cormier def. Patrick Cummins via TKO (punches) — Round 1 (1:19)
- Rory MacDonald def. Demain Maia via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Mike Pyle def. T.J. Waldburger via TKO (strikes) — Round 3 (4:03)
- Stephen Thompson def. Robert Whittaker via TKO (strikes) — Round 1 (3:43)
- Alexis Davis def. Jessica Eye via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Raphael Assuncao def. Pedro Munhoz via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Aljamain Sterling def. Cody Gibson via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Zach Makovsky def. Josh Sampo via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Erik Koch def. Rafaello Oliveira via TKO (punches) — Round 1 (1:24)
- Ernest Chavez def. Yosdenis Cedeno via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 30-27)