The event, which went down at the Prudential Center in Newark New Jersey, saw Rashid Magomedov score a unanimous decision victory over Tony Martin in the second preliminary card of the night.
Magomedov set the pace early, and continued to press the action to earn the nod from the judges.
Later on the UFC 169 preliminary card, Clint Hester defeated Andy Enz via unanimous decision.
Two judges scored it 30-27, while the third had it 30-26.
The televised portion of UFC 169 kicked off on Fox Sports 1 with a fight between Al Iaquinta and Kevin Lee.
Iaquinta tagged Lee early in the opening round and came close to finishing the fight with strikes, but Lee bounced back with a gorgeous second frame.
Lee locked in a rear-naked choke midway through the second round, and almost ended the fight with a submission.
After a back-and-forth third round, Iaquinta earned the win via unanimous decision.
Two UFC world titles will be put on the line during the UFC 169 main card.
Barao, 27, hasn't lost in any of his eight fights under the Zuffa umbrella. He has defeated several top contenders in the UFC's 135-pound division, including Eddie Wineland, Michael McDonald and even Faber.
The UFC 169 main event is a rematch from the summer of 2012, when Barao defeated Faber via unanimous decision.
Faber, 34, racked up four straight wins since his first fight against Barao.
The UFC 169 co-main features featherweight champ Jose Aldo against Ricardo Lamas.
Aldo, 27, is 23-1 overall, including wins over Frankie Edgar and Chad Mendes. As for Lamas, the 31-year-old is on a four-fight win streak.
Also on the UFC 169 main card, former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir battles Alistair Overeem.
Here's a look at the full UFC 169 fight card results:
- Renan Barao (135) vs. Urijah Faber (134.5)
- Jose Aldo (145) vs. Ricardo Lamas (144.5)
- Alistair Overeem (257) vs. Frank Mir (256.5)
- John Lineker (126) vs. Ali Bagautinov (126)
- Jamie Varner (156) vs. Abel Trujillo (155.5)
- John Makdessi (155) vs. Alan Patrick Silva Alves (155.5)
- Chris Cariaso (125) vs. Danny Martinez (125.5)
- Nick Catone def. Tom Watson via split decision
- Al Iaquinta def.Kevin Lee via unanimous decision
- Clint Hester def. Andy Enz via unanimous decision
- Rashid Magomedov def. Tony Martin via unanimous decision
- Neil Magny def. Gasan Umalatov via unanimous decision