The Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, was treated to a great night of fights, highlighted by the UFC light heavyweight championship between (19-1-0) Jon Jones and No.1 contender, (15-2-0) Alexander Gustafsson.
After downplaying the significance of his size advantage against his previous opponents, "The Mauler" proved that size does matter inside the Octagon, giving "Bones" the toughest fight of his career.
However in the end, he would surpass Tito Ortiz for most title defenses at 205 pounds by winning his sixth straight UFC title fight.
"I've been asking for a tough fight like this and I got it," said Jones, who was actually the bloodier fighter during the five rounds. "I have a lot of work to do in the gym. I felt really sloppy tonight. He was just a tough fighter. That was by far my toughest fight."
Coming off last weekend's Mayweather-Canelo controversy in Las Vegas, Nev., the UFC 165 results judges scored the bout 48-47, 48-47 and 49-46, in favor of the champ, and rightly so.
According to FightMetric, Jones landed 24 more significant strikes than the heavily underdog Swede, on his way to a unanimous decision victory. Significant strikes landed courtesy of FightMetric:
Jon "Bones" Jones
- Round 1: 28
- Round 2: 26
- Round 3: 29
- Round 4: 27
Alexander "The Mauler" Gustafsson
- Round 1: 19
- Round 2: 15
- Round 3: 26
- Round 4: 26
After earning "Fight of the Night" honors, Jones and Gustafsson went to the hospital and the champ posted the following tweet: "Thank you for everyone support. I felt a little off my game tonight but I learned alot about myself and I promise to come back better."
Check out the Jones vs Gustafsson full fight video highlights and press conference here and other UFC 165 results go as follows:
- Jon Jones [-850] def. Alexander Gustafsson [+525] by unanimous decision
- Renan Barao [-700] def. Eddie Wineland [+450] by 2nd Rd. TKO
- Brendan Schaub [-110] def. Matt Mitrione [-120] by submission (D’arce Choke)
- Francis Carmont [+150] def. Costa Philippou [-185] by unanimous decision
- Khabib Nurmagomedov [-250] def. Pat Healy [+195] by unanimous decision
- Myles Jury [-400] def. Mike Ricci [+300] by unanimous decision
- Wilson Reis [+135] def. Ivan Menjivar [-165] by unanimous decision
- Stephen Thompson [-350] def. Chris Clements [+265] by 2nd Rd. KO
- Mitch Gagnon [+140] def. Dustin Kimura [-170] by submission (Guillotine)
- John Makdessi [-185] def. Renee Forte [+150] by 1st Rd. KO
- Michel Prazeres [+120] def. Jesse Ronson [-150] by split decision
- Alex Caceres [-135] def. Roland Delorme [+105] by split decision
- Daniel Omielanczuk [-275] def. Nandor Guelmino [+215] by 3rd Rd. TKO
After watching the UFC 165 results and Jones vs Gustafsson full fight video highlights, do you think there should be a rematch between the two or should Glover Teixeira get the next shot?