1. News
  2. Politics
  3. Republican

U.S. Senate Candidate Eric Wargotz is misleading Republican voters - Part I

In my time following the Republican U.S. Senate race in Maryland I've come to the realization that one candidate is purposely misleading the voters by stating he is a conservative candidate. However he is truly a wolf in sheep's clothing.  Dr. Eric Wargotz is deceiving Republican voters in Maryland.  My issue is not with his candidacy, rather Dr. Wargotz should simply tell the truth.  He is a moderate Republican and he should run as a moderate Republican rather than deceive Republican voters.

Wargotz was interviewed by the Jewish Times on October 30, 2009.  A copy of that article can be obtained from the Jewish Times if you'd like to pay the $2.95 for it.  Otherwise, some of the contents are shared herein.

Author Neil Rubin begins a discussion on health care with Wargotz.  Here's the exchange.  Wargotz's responses are in quotes.  The critical items I have bolded for you.

As a medical doctor, health care tops his list of priorities. "One of the biggest problems is that the federal government and the president have never done a careful analysis of the strengths and problems of the current system," he said."Eighty-five percent of the people approve of their personal health care [according to Rasmussen Reports polls]. All of a sudden, it goes from number three to number one on the agenda, and we're in a crisis?" Dr. Wargotz did not hesitate to criticize both Democrats and rightwing Republicans.

"I was very disappointed that President Obama stated that he wouldn't pay health care for illegal immigrants," he said, bucking the GOP stand.

A little further into the interview, Wargotz provides some insight as to the current U.S. Senators he respects/admires.

Some political role models, he said, include Connecticut's Sen. Joe Lieberman, once a leading Democrat and now an independent, who broke with his party over the Iraq War. Likewise, he admires Maine's Republican Sen. Olympia Snow, who is defying her party's blanket opposition to President Obama's health care initiatives.

For those that follow politics closely you know that Senator Snowe is a moderate Republican or as others refer to it a Republican in Name Only (RINO).  As for Senator Lieberman, well he's been a Democrat most of his political career.  A conservative would not cite either of these Senators as their political lodestars if he were truly conservative.  You would expect to see a name like Jim DeMint or Tom Coburn, but certainly not Lieberman and Snowe.

As I said, this is the first in a series of articles I will publish to correct the record on Dr. Wargotz.  Republican voters should pay close attention to forthcoming articles in a couple weeks or so.  If this piqued your interest the next article will not disappoint.

Below is the copyright notice from the article and the reference number if you'd like to confirm this yourself.

Copyright, 2009, Jewish Times, All Rights Reserved.

Record Number: 345608434

Comments

• Brett 4 years ago

Scott, Thanks for clearing this up for us. I think we deserve the truth and I am sick and tired of Moderates running as conservatives. What are they trying to prove?

• Kimberly 4 years ago

Right on, Scott! Words are powerful and are used to execute an agenda. Aside from Wargotz delineating himself as anything but conservative, it is perhaps crystal clear that when he gave quotes to the Jewish Times that he was perhaps pandering to the readership of that paper. I find this offensive. Once again, it is the arrogance of established politicians that allows them to follow a thought process that stereotypes main stream Americans as ignorant. New Flash- we are not! We are informed, we seek information and we have the ability to process it. We all learned form the seduction of Obama rhetoric that the art of pandering via written and spoken words is a tactic to woo voters. Have some integrity Dr. Wargotz and label yourself as who you really are. This way you will be up front and will not be accused of sending a message of being a conservative when your actions are that of a moderate. It will save you much grief in the long run.

• Tech57 4 years ago

Good luck to Jimbo with all his vitriol and rhetoric.
    Why doesn't anyone ever point out that Rutty was a lifelong dimocrat up until the late 90's, and now portrays himself as the 2nd coming of Ronald Reagan??
    What was his 'come to Jesus' moment?

• Baltimore 4 years ago

Funny thing is, can't link to original article.I really don't trust"cut & paste"articles like this.I would like to read the whole thing in context to be fair.Snowe and Lieberman are independent minded folks and DeMint and Colburn are very much so Constitutionally oriented.I have heard Dr. Wargotz refer to all with varying degrees of respect for specific reasons.What Scott has done here is to pick and choose in a very cowardly fashion, how he wishes to shape our perception of Dr. Wargotz.In fact,I was at a club meeting shortly after the original article was published and we asked him about the immigrant health care"quote."You want to know what his response was?It was that he was disappointed that Obama chose not to address illegal immigration in the health care bill and the dire effects it has on our health care system.He stated that what the JT published was a mis-quote and that they were going to publish a correction.I published a comment to the original article back then.

• BillC 4 years ago

It is quite convienient just to pull quotes to serve YOUR purpose. Spend the $2.95 and serve what few readers have.
    Funny how RollCall & Rasmussen recognise Wargotz as the only contender. Wargotz's record speaks for itself. He beat back reccommended property & income taxes, shrank the size of QAC's gov't, implemented constant yield and cut the budget by $11.5 MILLION.
    Oh thats right, none of the other candidates have ANY track record...May cause one to take pause. I digress.

• Scott Strzelczyk 4 years ago

You provide me your e-mail I'll send you a copy of the article that from the Jewish Times. Otherwise, spend the $2.95 and confirm it yourself.

Second, Wargotz submitted ordinance 08-25 and signed it as a commissioner. This included a 50% increase the recordation fees on property sales. Go read it yourself. The goal was to specifically increase tax/fee revenues in QA county. The rate was increased from $3.30 to $4.65. That too can be easily verified.

Not to mention that ordinance restricted property rights of certain property owners to subdivide land.

• BillC 4 years ago

• George 4 years ago

It looks to me like Mr. Strzelczyk wanted to protect his investment in one of Eric Wargotz's opponents:

From the FEC website

STRZELCZYK, SCOTT
    NEW WINDSOR, MD 21776
    NATHAN ALLEN CONSULTING, LLC/SOFT

RUTLEDGE, JAMES B III
    VIA RUTLEDGE FOR US SENATE 2010
    12/22/2009 300.00 10020074663
    02/24/2010 400.00 10020224106
    03/05/2010 500.00 10020224106
    03/27/2010 400.00 10020224106

Total Contributions: 1600.00

TRY A: NEW QUERY
    RETURN TO: FEC HOME PAGE

• Michael Swartz 4 years ago

The interesting thing about the two leading candidates is that both were Democrats at one time - as was Ronald Reagan, so there's no harm in switching parties.

But Wargotz was somewhat more active, and donated to several Democrats about a decade ago as I pointed out on April 13 on my own Examiner site (Political Buzz Examiner.)

Take from it what you will.

• Scott Strzelczyk 4 years ago

• Scott Strzelczyk 4 years ago

That's right I have contributed to Jim's campaign. In fact, I'm sure I'm going to max out my contribution for the primary. So what. I also contributed money to Ron Miller, Charles Lollar, Justin Ready, Bob McDonnell, Scott Brown, and Doug Hoffman. If you want to know how much ask and I'll tell you. My contributions don't change what Wargotz said in the interview.

And yes, Jim was a Democrat at one point in his life. He became a Republican around 1990 or so. I didn't say a thing about Wargotz being a Democrat. Rather I'm saying Wargotz is selling himself to the voters as a conservative and he is truly a moderate. That's my issue. That's why I'm calling out Wargotz. If you want to comment on the merits of the article that is welcome. All these other comments are to distract the reader's attention away from the facts.

• Kimberly 4 years ago

Dear Tech57- Jim owns up to his former choice of registering as a democrat. The beauty of the freedom of this country is that we are permitted to do that. If you take issue with his former political choices in voting as a private citizen, how do you feel about ERIC WARGOTZ DONATING OVER $25K TO DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES, TO INCLUDE STENY HOYER? You can do the research yourself on this as it is public record. Also research the fiscal budget for QA County, he has blood on his hands with the bloated budget and consequential tax hikes. Whether he voted on the tax hikes or not, he was part of the budget building process and approval of such. Please arm yourself with information before you attack Jim Rutledge. Wargotz simply needs to stop calling himself a conervative. He is a moderate, at best. His pillars of supporting free health care for illegal immigrants is profoundly socially liberal. Show some integrity, Dr. Wargotz!!

• BillC 4 years ago

• BillC 4 years ago

I don't know why this keeps reposting my last post....
    Let's talk about 08-25, there was NEVER a vote on it other than to pass it off to a Blue Ribbon commission for further study.
    That is also the bill you Rut-bots keep referring to as the property rights issue... The Recordation fees in QAC are one of the lowest in the state. QAC also has one of the poorest infrastructures in the state due to the amount of land mass it covers and sparse population. The proposed increase was to cover a) expansion of infrastructure b) fund the PDR Program (Purchase & Development Rights) and c) fund replacement of the oldest operating courthouse in MD.
    The property rights deal was designed to help the struggling farmer (due to over regulation by the EPA) so he/they would be able to sell 'parcells" without adding to the sprawl, overburdoning the infrastructure i.e. water/sewer/septic...EMS, schools and the list goes on....

• BillC 4 years ago

@Kimberly, while Jimbo was a dim, did he not support fellow dims? Or was he just a DINO? Upon further digging I found out that Dr. Wargotz also supported Bush/Cheney and Erhlich (I'll try not to hold Erhlich against him) in the same election cycle.
    22 months as a dim and he saw the error of his ways.
    @Scott, does the Examiner know that you are actively campaigning for Jimbo? I'd hardly call that 'objective journalism'.

• Scott Strzelczyk 4 years ago

BillC, That is the pot calling the kettle black with the campaigning for Jim thing and writing an article. I do work on Jim's campaign, many people know that. Again, I'm not hiding anything. But wait... let's talk about the what's going on with Wargotz and let's see if that's on the up and up...

The MD-GOP chairman's son is working on Wargotz's campaign. And, from my sources, I've been told the MD-GOP is quietly helping Wargotz out. One way is the phone banking at MD-GOP headquarters. The GOP is suppose to stay out of the primary races and not endorse a candidate.

And, while we are talking about full disclosure... BillC please give you full name (since I have) and your donation history, and whether you work on the Wargotz campaign or not.

All you are doing is trying to distract readers from the fact Wargotz said illegal immigrants should be covered under Obamacare. And his Sentorial mentors are Lieberman and Snowe.

• Kimberly 4 years ago

• Kimberly 4 years ago

BillC- I am glad that you are able to share with us the record of Eric Wargotz w/ regards to his political life in QAC. But the bottom line, and the whole point of the article is that ERIC needs to label himself as a moderate because that is where his heart lies. There is no fault to be found in that. The fault is that he is panning to whomever he thinks will give the votes. So for the conservative crowd, he calls himself a conservative and for the readers of the Jewish Times, he touts himself as socially moderate. I, for one, find this behavior insulting to people in general. Stop playing games and have the integrity and authenticity to refer to yourself as a MODERATE! The wishy washy messaging undermines the accomplishments that Eric can tout. He needs to define himself and stick to it! Simple task, but may be hard to implement.

• Scott Strzelczyk 4 years ago

• Kimberly 4 years ago

The comment section is always a fountain for information, that is for sure! So many things are starting to make sense now! I see the light! Audrey Scott has been seen at Wargotz functions- now I know that she was there rooting for her son's endeavor as part of the Wargotz campaign! Oh, my...this is the same web of "political incest" that this AMERICAN is sick and tired of. It is the same web of "political incest" that is a foundation for the culture of corruption in Washington DC. It is the same web of "political incest" that again shows there is MUCH MORE to Dr. Wargotz than his talking points as he panders to whatever audience he is speaking to. Wait- his surrogate speakers also have talking points, but I am not holding them responsible for the "political incest" as they are not the candidate. Now I must question the MD GOP's credibility in addition to that of Dr. Wargotz. I suppose this sort of political incest explains why the GOP as a whole gave away the past 2 elections. SAD.

• Joseph Pisani 4 years ago

I was also a democrat before I became a republican. I registered as such,because I thought democrats stood for the little people. But then my eyes were opened to the liberal lies that run rampant with ALL politicians. I'm fed up with them and want them out of office. What we need are honest people to represent us in DC. That's why I joined the Rutledge Campaign. I believe he is honest and will represent us to the best of his ability. Folks that I've spoken with who know Mr. Rutledge speak highly of him. I do believe people can change their minds and party affiliations, as long as it's for the right reasons and comes from the heart. I don't believe Wargotz is that type of person. It is our duty as citizens of this country to elect representatives who will uphold the Constitution of the US. If we don't, the secular progressive will win and "IN GOD WE TRUST" and "ONE NATION UNDER GOD" will be no more.

• Joe 4 years ago

I find this weakly attack on Eric Wargotz by certain bloggers in the State fascinating. Somehow you think an ultra-right candidate is going to beat Mikulski, a liberal who is proud of that fact, and at the same time a moderate candidate like Ehrlich is somehow going to beat O'Malley who cloaks his liberal background. Where is no outcry over Ehrlich's flush tax or how he increased the size of government during his administration? Instead you go after a County Commissioner that has reduced the size of government and reduced taxes by digging deep for obscure misquotes and questionable votes on zoning issues.

If must be frustrating to support a constitution-thumping candidate whose message doesn't reach the common folk like Eric Wargotz's message does and wonder why the money isn't just pouring into the campaign.

• BillC 4 years ago

When the Jewish Times cherry picks answers and 1/2 quotations just to make the candidate look good to their left leaning base, what's a man to do.
    Add to that Scott himself cherry picking parts of the article he feel will benefit HIS boss, sorry, meant candidate... If I may quote the Beatles 'its like looking through a glass onion'.
    Certainly a distorted view.

• Scott Strzelczyk 4 years ago

Joe, that is a strawman argument. Again, a lame attempt to divert attention away from the real issue. Wargotz, at best is a moderate, and in my opinion is really a liberal Republican. The issue here is he is trying to sell himself as a conservative. And he's simply not a conservative. That's okay. It's okay to admit it. Why is Wargotz spending so much time trying to sell himself as a conservative? You know he's not. I know he's not. But he's putting a great deal of effort into trying to convince voters he is a conservative. Why?

Perhaps Jim will win, perhaps not. The voters will decide. At least Jim represents himself honestly and doesn't try to deceive the voters.

Joe, would you mind explaining why zoning issues are obscure. Zoning issues impact property owners. A farmer wants to give a parcel of land to his child to build a home, well zoning laws can prohibit that. I'm curious, where does Eric stand on Eminent Domain? Does he concur with the ruling or not?

• AMDACTIVISE 4 years ago

WARGOTZ IS LENIENT WITH ILLEGAL ALIENS IN MD. HE VIEWS THEM AS YESTERYEARS IMMIGRANTS WHICH THEY ARE NOT..

• Steve Smith 4 years ago

I have to call you out on the MD GOP comment. All U.S. Senate Candidates were offered use of the Phones at HQ. I work on a U.S. Senate Campaign here in Maryland for Corrogan Vaughn. We were offered use of the space.

• Gary Jackson 3 years ago

Wargotz is a perfect example of a person saying whatever he thinks his current audience wants to hear.(just like Obama).We dont need any more politicians like him in washington.His kind needs to be removed from office.Jim Rutledge is the best choice precisely because he is a newcomer.*I believe that he will stand up to the current congress that is bent on ruining our once great country through Socialism. Wargotz should keep his energies for treating the Illegal immigrants that he would like my tax dollars to pay for.Every single illegal and thier children need to be put on a bus and sent home!I'm sick and tired of maryland politicians refusing to enforce the law,and I believe that Wargotz is one of these politicians. VOTE RUTLEDGE!!

News

• Gaza conflict
    Israel official: Ceasefire and expanding Gaza conflict are both being discussed
    Video
    Video
  • Air Algerie crash
    Conflicting reports about the Air Algerie disappearance begin to emerge
    Top News
  • Arizona execution
    A Senator familiar with torture denounces Joseph Wood's botched execution as such
    US News
  • Ray Rice suspended
    Ravens' running back Ray Rice is suspended for two games for a domestic violence arrest
    Sports
  • Amazon tribe falls ill
    An Amazonian tribe catches influenza after making first contact with the developed world
    Headlines
  • CIA prison in Poland
    Poland is declared guilty of human rights violations for hosting a secret CIA prison
    Video