The U.S. Postal Service rolled its new limited-edition Jimi Hendrix Forever Stamp March 13 with a ceremony at SXSW's Outdoor Stage at Butler Park. The Hendrix Forever Stamp, which can be used for first-class postage, became available starting today at post offices nationwide, online at the Postal Service website, at the Postal Store on eBay and through 1-800-STAMP24 (1-800-782-6724).
"I am deeply touched and so are other members of the Hendrix family by the issuance of this stamp, and I wish to thank the United States Postal Service for bestowing one of our nation's highest honors on my brother Jimi," said Janie Hendrix. "While my brother has been cited many times as being among the most influential musicians of all time, the recognition implicit in his being portrayed on a U.S. postage stamp ranks as an unparalleled honor."
The stamp dedication was held prior to a Jimi Hendrix celebration concert at the SXSW Outdoor Stage at Butler Park. Performers included Wayne Kramer, guitarist for Motor City 5; Slash, former lead guitarist for Guns N' Roses; Rusty Anderson, lead guitarist for Paul McCartney, and Perry Farrell, lead singer for Jane's Addiction. The concert also featured Robbie Krieger of the Doors, Mary Bridget Davies of Broadway's "A Night with Janis Joplin" and Dave and Phil Alvin, former guitarists for The Blasters.
The stamp was designed by artist Rudy Gutierrez and resembles a vintage 45 RPM record sleeve with a painting of Hendrix's face surrounded by colorful swirls and small icons that reference song lyrics or aspects of Hendrix's life. The Hendrix stamp kicks off the 2014 Music Icons series, which will include Janis Joplin later this year.
Collectors have 60 days to obtain the first-day-of-issue postmark by mail. They may purchase the new stamps at local Post Offices, at http://www.USPS.com/stamps or by calling 1-800-STAMP-24. They should apply the stamps to envelopes of their choice, address the envelopes to themselves or others and place them in larger envelopes addressed to Jimi Hendrix Station, Postmaster, 8225 Cross Park Drive, Austin, TX 78710-9998. After applying the first-day-of-issue postmark, the Postal Service will return the envelopes through the mail. There is no charge for the postmark for fewer than 50 requests. For more than 50, the price is 5 cents each. All orders must be postmarked by May 12, 2014.
The U.S.P.S. recently revealed it will issue stamps for John Lennon, Janis Joplin, James Brown and many other entertainers.
List of stamp products for the Jimi Hendrix Forever Stamp:
- -- 588006, Press sheet with die cuts, $70.56 (print quantity of 2,500)
- -- 588008, Press Sheet without die cuts, $70.56 (print quantity of 2,500)
- -- 588010, Keepsake (Pane of 16, 1 Digital Color Postmark), $9.95
- -- 588016, First-Day Cover, $0.93
- -- 588018, Full Pane First Day Cover, $10.34
- -- 588019, Cancelled Full Pane, $10.34
- -- 588021, Digital Color Postmark, $1.64
- -- 588024, Framed Art, $39.95
- -- 588025, Poster with First Day Cover, $14.95
- -- 588026, T-shirt (med) with First Day Cover, $17.95
- -- 588027, T-shirt (large) with First Day Cover, $17.95
- -- 588028, T-shirt (XL) with First Day Cover, $17.95
- -- 588029, T-shirt (XXL) with First Day Cover, $17.95
- -- 588030, Ceremony Program, $6.95
- -- 588031, Stamp Deck Card, $0.95.
- -- 585032, Stamp Deck Card with Digital Color Postmark, $1.99
Copyright Steve Marinucci. Please feel free to spread our links on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Reddit, StumbleUpon and other social media sites. Connect with us on Facebook and Pinterest. And don't miss our weekly Beatles news podcast “Things We Said Today” available first on Fab4Radio.com on the weekends, then on iTunes and Podbean.com. We are also the author of the ebook “Meet a Monkee: Davy Jones.”