U.S. House hearings to address America's long-term unemployment problems on June 10, 2010

Congressman Jim McDermett (D-WA) will hold hearings on unemployment June 10, 2010
photo by Ellen Corcella

Comments

• Scott S. 5 years ago

I'm 52 I've been laid off since Jan 23, 09 and can't find a job paying enough to make my house payment, which is located on land that's been in my family since 1962. I've busted my butt to get what I have and my hopes were to give the property to my children one day to keep it in the family. So much for the American Dream? I don't understand that during the worst economy since the depression why it's not considered an emergancy to both side of the political isle. Furthermore, I also don't understand why the gov is bailing out corporate fraudsters while one's like me, through no fault of our own, are more or less being left to fend for ourselves now. Where was the deficit concern for the politicians then? Have our elected officials forgotten us and how they got elected in the 1st place?

• RED 5 years ago

Scott, I hear you. I'd be interested in knowing if there is a correlation between PAC contributions and corporate bailout funds, and who voted for the bailouts.

• Ellen 5 years ago

Scott -- I encourage you to send your story to Congress. It is very easy and the news release tells you exactly how to address it. I have also given you the websites for the Senate and House where you can find the emails of your elected officials. Send the emails as well.

As to the corporate fraudsters -- much has been written about the link between Goldman Sachs and the bailouts. For example, Ben Bernake -- the federal reserve chair and Tim Geitner -- Obama's secretary of the treasury were once the head of and among the highest ranking officers of Goldman Sachs. They designed the bailouts -- two years later, Goldman Sachs is showing extraordinary profits. BTW -- who is the largest banking contributor to the Democratic Party -- Goldman Sachs.

I will keep putting out facts and information to assist those who are unemployed and to let people make informed decisions.

My Best. Ellen Corcella Indianapolis Unemployment Examiner

• Ellen 5 years ago

My Best. Ellen Corcella Indianapolis Unemployment Examiner

• robert 5 years ago

i have been at my job for 6 years and been laid off every summer, i've had unemployment for 2/6 summers now, now i cant afford car insurance or rent. now with no place to live!

• jack 5 years ago

Stop delaying and extend the unemployment for one year you know it is needed do it now. If jobs are in a recovery it will tak this long to get these people back to work if not it is time to clean out washington on career politicians.

• Pattie 5 years ago

Why is the Senate dragging their feet about extending the unemployment benefits? My husband is almost 60 years old, fought for this country, and has been unemployed since July 2009. We have used all the money we have saved over the years just to stay afloat, now we are at the end of it. Please get this passed to help every American who now finds themselves in the same position - through no fault of their own.

• Charles 5 years ago

It's hard to hang in there when it seems that the politicians that we voted for can't even seem to put extending the unemployment FIRST on their list of concerns. We are slowly drowning, coming up for a little air and then under we go again. Doesn't anybody care? I fought for this country in Viet Nam, and now I have almost nothing left. Been unemployed for the first time in 40 years.

• Renee 5 years ago

PLEASE PLEASE WE NEED A TIER 5 MY BROTHER MY SISTER AND MYSELF HAVE LOST OUR JOBS TO DOWN SIZING.DONT LET THE AMERICAN DREAM DIE,THANK YOU and GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.

• Gage 5 years ago

Sadly to report I live in Ohio. I have been looking for a job since I got laid off of 2 different jobs. I have a degree and 2 kids. I gotten a job since march 29 2010. I have ran through my savings and the kids college money. I have borrowed from everyone that I know of. My bills are so behind that I can't sleep. My family has to eat and have somewhere to sleep. Im asking God what does he want me to do. I don't want to resort to robbing and stealing from people. I think of killing myself everyday everyday ,but my kids will be alone. I fill out countless applications to know avail. The U.S sends money everywhere in the world, bailouts, thousands of immigrants come here a day a get help on our tax money. I'm a veteran and can't get help. To all the people saying we shouldn't get any help be careful what you say a 99er may be in your house when you get home. (

• Gage 5 years ago

The economy is slow still as of now. Thousands and thousands of people are not getting any assistance. Tier 5 would put money back in the economy because we (99ers) are so far behind our checks will be right into the economy. I have no faith in our Government because it is letting people suffer like this. I didn't tell my Employers to lay me off and not hire me back. Im not letting thousands of immigrants in the country still as we are in a recession to fight me for jobs. If I was a person with a bunch of kids,and never worked I would get so much help food stamps, free housing, free daycare, free school etc. We need tier 5.

• timoregon 5 years ago

I am not one of the unemployed however see the need for Unemployment extensions...
    ... Congress needs to be held accountable for the their failure to create a jobs bill and a jobs market.

extending Unemployment is not the answer however it what is needed. the Answer is to create jobs, which will take Congress to place hire taxes on any company that out sources jobs over seas, higher taxes on any funds leaving the US and higher tariffs on imports.

Until then we have to pay out unemployment for the failure of our leaders.

Support unemployment here, it is one of Change.org highest all time petitions.

Google www.change.org and see the link to unemployment.