1. Life
  2. Careers & Workplace
  3. Unemployment

U.S. House hearings to address America's long-term unemployment problems on June 10, 2010

On June 10, 2010, the U.S. House subcommitte on Income Security and Family Support of the Ways and Means Committee will conduct a hearing to examine possible responses to the problem of long-term unemployment. waysandmeans.house.gov.  The subcommitte is chaired by Congressman Jim McDermott (D-WA).

The Ways and Means Committee maintains a page on unemployment matters at http://waysandmeans.house.gov/press/PRArticle.aspx?NewsID=11116.

The members of the Ways and Means Committee can be found at http://waysandmeans.house.gov/singlepages.aspx?newsid=10462.  Although Indiana does not have a congressional representative on the Committee, many other states are represented such as Texas, California, Florida, Illinois, New York and Nevada.  The information contained in the press release is so vital that the entire press release is published as part of this article.  With Indiana and its major cities hovering around 10% unemployment, it is vital that your personal stories and concerns be submitted as outlined below.

Please read to the end of the release because hearing submissions must be formatted exactly as described in the press release.

"June 3, 2010 Press Release

Congressman Jim McDermott (D-WA), Chairman of the Subcommittee on Income Security and Family Support of the Committee on Ways and Means, today announced that the Subcommittee will hold a hearing on possible policy responses to long-term unemployment. The hearing will take place on Thursday, June 10, 2010, at 9:30 a.m. in B-318 Rayburn House Office Building.

In view of the limited time available to hear witnesses, oral testimony at this hearing will be from invited witnesses only. However, any individual or organization not scheduled to appear may submit a written statement for consideration by the Subcommittee and for inclusion in the record of the hearing.

BACKGROUND:

Even as the economy has started to consistently create jobs for the first time in over two years, the problem of long-term unemployment remains a significant challenge. Just under 46 percent of all unemployed workers have been without work for over six months – more than anytime since record keeping on this statistic began in 1948. These 6.7 million long-term jobless Americans face a labor market with only one job available for nearly every six unemployed workers.

Over ten million jobs need to be created to restore the labor market to its condition before the recession started in December 2007. This enormous jobs gap suggests that even robust and consistent employment growth would take considerable time to substantially lower the number of long-term unemployed workers. Studies find that unemployment leads to a variety of negative outcomes for workers and their families, including increased deprivation, increased health problems, permanent withdrawal from the labor market (sometimes by moving on to disability programs) and adverse impacts on children, including poorer educational outcomes.

In announcing the hearing, Chairman McDermott stated, "Our first step to respond to long-term unemployment is obvious -- continue the emergency federal unemployment programs to prevent millions of workers from losing their benefits. If we can afford wars, tax cuts, and bank bailouts, then we can certainly afford to maintain programs for workers who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own. But we also need to think about additional steps to help those trying to return to work. An increasing number of Americans who have worked hard and played by the rules are now finding themselves with no job, no savings and no support. We must not abandon these workers and their families.”

FOCUS OF THE HEARING:

The hearing will focus on possible policy responses to long-term unemployment.

DETAILS FOR SUBMISSION OF WRITTEN COMMENTS:

Please Note: Any person(s) and/or organization(s) wishing to submit for the hearing record must follow the appropriate link on the hearing page of the Committee website and complete the informational forms. From the Committee homepage, http://waysandmeans.house.gov, select “Hearings”. Select the hearing for which you would like to submit, and click on the link entitled, “Click here to provide a submission for the record.” Once you have followed the online instructions, submit all requested information. ATTACH your submission as a Word or WordPerfect document, in compliance with the formatting requirements listed below, by close of business Thursday, Thursday, June 24, 2010. Finally, please note that due to the change in House mail policy, the U.S. Capitol Police will refuse sealed-package deliveries to all House Office Buildings. For questions, or if you encounter technical problems, please call (202) 225-1721 or (202) 225-3625.

FORMATTING REQUIREMENTS:

The Committee relies on electronic submissions for printing the official hearing record. As always, submissions will be included in the record according to the discretion of the Committee. The Committee will not alter the content of your submission, but we reserve the right to format it according to our guidelines. Any submission provided to the Committee by a witness, any supplementary materials submitted for the printed record, and any written comments in response to a request for written comments must conform to the guidelines listed below. Any submission or supplementary item not in compliance with these guidelines will not be printed, but will be maintained in the Committee files for review and use by the Committee.

1. All submissions and supplementary materials must be provided in Word or WordPerfect format and MUST NOT exceed a total of 10 pages, including attachments. Witnesses and submitters are advised that the Committee relies on electronic submissions for printing the official hearing record.

2. Copies of whole documents submitted as exhibit material will not be accepted for printing. Instead, exhibit material should be referenced and quoted or paraphrased. All exhibit material not meeting these specifications will be maintained in the Committee files for review and use by the Committee.

3. All submissions must include a list of all clients, persons, and/or organizations on whose behalf the witness appears. A supplemental sheet must accompany each submission listing the name, company, address, telephone, and fax numbers of each witness."

Note: All Committee advisories and news releases are available on the World Wide Web at http://waysandmeans.house.gov.

STAY TUNED:

For follow-up to the House Hearing on Long-term unemployment.

For articles with tips on job search and job fairs.

"The 99ers need a Tier V added to Unemployment Benefits petition for a Tier V" is at www.change.org.  The petition has 31,349 signatures to date according to Issa Decker, the energetic founder of the Petition.

U.S. Senate contact information: The democrat leaders are Senators Reid, Durbin, and Shumer. The republican leaders are Senators Mitch McConnell, Kyl, and E. Canter.

www.openCongress.org/people/senator
www.senate.gov;

www.house.gov

Toll free numbers: 1-888-245-0215
Congressional switchboard: 1-866-338-1015
www.unemployed-friends.com

Get the most current news about jobs, unemployment and the economy by pressing the subscribe button at the top of the article.

Continue to send your thoughts, comments and ideas to me at Ellen.Corcella@yahoo.com. I read and respond to your emails.

Many thanks for the follow, lets keep moving forward together.

Comments

• Scott S. 4 years ago

I'm 52 I've been laid off since Jan 23, 09 and can't find a job paying enough to make my house payment, which is located on land that's been in my family since 1962. I've busted my butt to get what I have and my hopes were to give the property to my children one day to keep it in the family. So much for the American Dream? I don't understand that during the worst economy since the depression why it's not considered an emergancy to both side of the political isle. Furthermore, I also don't understand why the gov is bailing out corporate fraudsters while one's like me, through no fault of our own, are more or less being left to fend for ourselves now. Where was the deficit concern for the politicians then? Have our elected officials forgotten us and how they got elected in the 1st place?

• RED 4 years ago

Scott, I hear you. I'd be interested in knowing if there is a correlation between PAC contributions and corporate bailout funds, and who voted for the bailouts.

• Ellen 4 years ago

Scott -- I encourage you to send your story to Congress. It is very easy and the news release tells you exactly how to address it. I have also given you the websites for the Senate and House where you can find the emails of your elected officials. Send the emails as well.

As to the corporate fraudsters -- much has been written about the link between Goldman Sachs and the bailouts. For example, Ben Bernake -- the federal reserve chair and Tim Geitner -- Obama's secretary of the treasury were once the head of and among the highest ranking officers of Goldman Sachs. They designed the bailouts -- two years later, Goldman Sachs is showing extraordinary profits. BTW -- who is the largest banking contributor to the Democratic Party -- Goldman Sachs.

I will keep putting out facts and information to assist those who are unemployed and to let people make informed decisions.

My Best. Ellen Corcella Indianapolis Unemployment Examiner

• Ellen 4 years ago

My Best. Ellen Corcella Indianapolis Unemployment Examiner

• robert 4 years ago

i have been at my job for 6 years and been laid off every summer, i've had unemployment for 2/6 summers now, now i cant afford car insurance or rent. now with no place to live!

• jack 4 years ago

Stop delaying and extend the unemployment for one year you know it is needed do it now. If jobs are in a recovery it will tak this long to get these people back to work if not it is time to clean out washington on career politicians.

• Pattie 4 years ago

Why is the Senate dragging their feet about extending the unemployment benefits? My husband is almost 60 years old, fought for this country, and has been unemployed since July 2009. We have used all the money we have saved over the years just to stay afloat, now we are at the end of it. Please get this passed to help every American who now finds themselves in the same position - through no fault of their own.

• Charles 4 years ago

It's hard to hang in there when it seems that the politicians that we voted for can't even seem to put extending the unemployment FIRST on their list of concerns. We are slowly drowning, coming up for a little air and then under we go again. Doesn't anybody care? I fought for this country in Viet Nam, and now I have almost nothing left. Been unemployed for the first time in 40 years.

• Renee 4 years ago

PLEASE PLEASE WE NEED A TIER 5 MY BROTHER MY SISTER AND MYSELF HAVE LOST OUR JOBS TO DOWN SIZING.DONT LET THE AMERICAN DREAM DIE,THANK YOU and GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.

• Gage 4 years ago

Sadly to report I live in Ohio. I have been looking for a job since I got laid off of 2 different jobs. I have a degree and 2 kids. I gotten a job since march 29 2010. I have ran through my savings and the kids college money. I have borrowed from everyone that I know of. My bills are so behind that I can't sleep. My family has to eat and have somewhere to sleep. Im asking God what does he want me to do. I don't want to resort to robbing and stealing from people. I think of killing myself everyday everyday ,but my kids will be alone. I fill out countless applications to know avail. The U.S sends money everywhere in the world, bailouts, thousands of immigrants come here a day a get help on our tax money. I'm a veteran and can't get help. To all the people saying we shouldn't get any help be careful what you say a 99er may be in your house when you get home. (

• Gage 4 years ago

The economy is slow still as of now. Thousands and thousands of people are not getting any assistance. Tier 5 would put money back in the economy because we (99ers) are so far behind our checks will be right into the economy. I have no faith in our Government because it is letting people suffer like this. I didn't tell my Employers to lay me off and not hire me back. Im not letting thousands of immigrants in the country still as we are in a recession to fight me for jobs. If I was a person with a bunch of kids,and never worked I would get so much help food stamps, free housing, free daycare, free school etc. We need tier 5.

• timoregon 4 years ago

I am not one of the unemployed however see the need for Unemployment extensions...
    ... Congress needs to be held accountable for the their failure to create a jobs bill and a jobs market.

extending Unemployment is not the answer however it what is needed. the Answer is to create jobs, which will take Congress to place hire taxes on any company that out sources jobs over seas, higher taxes on any funds leaving the US and higher tariffs on imports.

Until then we have to pay out unemployment for the failure of our leaders.

Support unemployment here, it is one of Change.org highest all time petitions.

Google www.change.org and see the link to unemployment.

Life

• Randy Travis
    Randy Travis returns with 'Influence Vol. 2: The Man I Am' in August
    Today's Buzz
  • Alternative medicine
    Alternative medicine: Remedies to make the bugs in your body go away for good
    Camera
    7 Photos
  • Beach body
    Fitness: Earn your beach body badge with bootcamp classes
    Camera
    10 Photos
  • Back to school
    These 10 items are sure winners on your back-to-school shopping trip
    Camera
    12 Photos
  • Izabel Goulart
    Izabel Goulart walks the runway with Studio F at Colombia Moda
    Camera
    19 Photos
  • Ombre' technique
    Go for the gusto: What ombre' technique are you?
    Camera