A set of good earphones? Around $200. A loyal pet dog’s life? Priceless. The life of Juan Alejandro Mendoila, of San Antonio, who killed his pet boxer, Tiger, for chewing up his earphones? Not a plug nickel, though in our upside-down system of criminal justice, the 29-year-old Mendoila will probably end up walking.
Dallas/Ft. Worth station WFAA reports that Animal Care Services were unable to save Tiger, who died yesterday of injuries sustained Tuesday night when his owner beat him bloody and senseless with the hilt of a large sheathed knife. Mendoila, for his part, was arrested and charged with cruelty to a non-livestock animal.
Tiger underwent emergency surgery on Wednesday morning, but his wounds were too deep. According to the police report, the dog was found covered in its own blood when authorities initially responded to a report of animal abuse.
Officers arriving on the scene encountered “a substantial amount of blood on the sidewalk.” They followed the blood trail, which led to Mendoila's apartment. Mendoila was still holding the sheathed machete he had used to “discipline” Tiger. He told officers that he "spanked" the dog several times, then panicked when he saw how much blood there was.
There is no word yet on when Mendoila will be expected to appear in court or whether bail was set.
- Outage: In anger, man slams girlfriend’s dog against wall, kills it
- Another dog is shot and killed by police (Photos)
- Man whose dog was shot to death by police gets court date
- Chicago police shoot and kill second innocent pet dog in one month
- Outrage: Dog shot to death for playing in the snow (Photos)
- Police kill homeowner’s dog while responding to call at wrong address
- Shock video: Pit bull shot on city street by NYPD