Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Two more losses for UIW Soccer

Karly Brightwell runs out to make a save
Karly Brightwell runs out to make a save
courtesy UIW Athletics

It was another rough night for UIW on the road on Friday as they fell to two losses to two top teams with the men falling to a 1-0 loss to Missouri State while the women fell to a heavy 4-0 loss to UTEP.

For the men, it was the second straight year that Missouri State had beaten the Cardinals in their season opener, and just like in 2013 it was by a score of 1-0.

The match started evenly with both sides getting chances away in an end-to-end start to the encounter but soon the Bears took control.

The Cardinals defense was proving difficult to break down, with plenty of chances coming the way of Missouri state but none getting through as UIW forced three corners in the first 25 minutes.

In the 28th minute that Missouri State pressure finally told as Parker Maher was able to send in a cross for the middle of the box for Brandon Barbero who was able to volley the ball home.

The standard high number of substitutions made in the late stages of the first half in a college match really broke up the flow of the match and kept the score line 1-0 at the break.

MSU started the second half well but again struggled to break down the Cardinals defense, which kept the match tight.

UIW had their best chance of the match in the 58th minute as Sam Steurer was able to get a volley away from just outside the box but it was deflected for a corner which came to naught.

In the final ten minutes UIW started to really go for the match and in the 85th minute could well have had their equalizer as Alex De la Garza got a shot away but it was saved for the Bears to hold the 1-0 win.

UTEP comprehensively outplayed the UIW women, being the strongest opponent either the men or women have encountered so far as they managed a 4-0 win over the Cardinals.

The Cardinals did manage to have only four less shots than the Miners but UTEP were much more clinical with their chances.

The match was even for the first five minutes as UIW got an early shot away but UTEP quickly took control and they managed to score in the 20th minute.

UTEP continued to have all of the ball but that faded at the end of the half, keeping it just 1-0 at the break after a solid defensive effort from UIW.

The second half not only saw UTEP continue their domination but also saw them be much more clinical as they put away three more goals to seal the match.

Just four minutes in to the second half UTEP had their second as Nicole Lindsay sent in a cross to Angela Cutaia at the far post, allowing Cutaia to head it home.

UTEP kept pushing and in the 64th minute they had their third Cutaia put in an assist as her through-ball came out for Lindsay to run on to and launch a powerful shot that left UIW with no chance, reversing the assist and goal in the second goal.

UIW came on after the lead was pushed out to three and had their chances but it was UTEP who would score again as they made it four in the 85th minute.

A cross across the face of goal from Amanda Pak found Bri Williamson who was able to powerfully slam it home for a 4-0 win.

Report this ad