Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Crime & Courts

Two missing siblings found safe, dad arrested after 7-hour manhunt in Douglas

See also

When a response to a house fire in Douglas County turned into a call about two missing children, officers from local and federal agents joined in the hunt for the dad who reportedly kidnapped them from their mom's home Sunday morning. And their hunt ended seven hours later.

The missing children, 3-year-old Peyton Foster and her brother, 1-year-old Cyrus Foster, were found safe and the children’s father was arrested near Morehouse College and charged, according to the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office.

The investigation unfolded about 5:30 a.m. when deputies responded to a house fire call at 1057 Abercorn Way in Douglasville, the sheriff’s spokesman Lt. Glenn Daniel said. When deputies arrived they discovered the siblings were missing, Daniel said.

An Amber alert and Levi’s call were broadcasted for the missing juveniles and the man suspected of taking them. Investigators provided a description of the suspect, 36-year-old Born Uallah Foster, and the vehicle they were traveling in, his ex-wife’s 2012 Chrysler 4-door Sedan, Daniel said. Officers from various agencies including the U.S. Secret Service, the FBI, GBI and Atlanta police joined in the search in minors, he said.

About 12:30 p.m., a MARTA police officer spotted the Chrysler at the intersection of Martin Luther King Drive and Joseph E. Lowery Boulevard in Atlanta, the spokesman said. As the officer attempted to stop the vehicle, Foster got out of the vehicle and ran, Daniel said.

But after a short foot chase he was apprehended and both of the juveniles were found safe inside the vehicle, Daniel said. Foster was charged with two counts of aggravated assault, motor vehicle theft, burglary, and criminal damage to property, Daniel said. More charges are possible once the investigation is completed, Daniel said.

Investigators are still trying to determine the cause of the fire, he said. Pictures of the home shown by Channel 2 Action News show damage to the garage and a broken screen in an upstairs window.

So far, deputies have not released any details on how the man was able to take the children from the home and where the mom was at the time the children were taken. Foster was transported to the Douglas County Jail and both juveniles were reunited with their mother, the spokesman said.