Two jets collided at Miami International Airport on Thursday leaving hundreds stranded. One of the jets that collided had 350 passengers on board. The other jet involved in the crash had 240 passengers according to a Jan. 18, 2013, Daily News report.
The jet that was carrying 350 passengers on board was an Air France 777-300 plane. The other jet involved in the collision that had 240 passengers on board was an Aerolines Argentinas Airbus.
The Air France 777-300 jet was getting ready at the gate to leave Miami to fly to Paris while the Aerolines Argentinas Airbus jet was coming from Argentina and arriving in Miami.
At about 5:45 p.m., while the Air France 777-300 plane was readied at the gate for its takeoff to Paris, the Aerolines Argentinas Airbus struck the Air France 777-300 plane.
One of the passengers on the Air France 777-300 jet reported that when the Aerolines Argentinas Airbus “crashed” into them, she was just walking to her seat when the collision happened.
She suddenly felt “like an earthquake was happening.”
Another passenger on the Air France jet said that “The plane shook up a bit but the hit wasn't strong enough to make it lose stability.”
Jose Mora, who was also on the Air France jet commented that “The plane hadn't even moved from the gate. … No one panicked. The damage was minimal.”
After the two jets had collided, the flight personal of the Air France jet made an announcement that “another plane had struck the flight.” Rescue units and airport workers immediately rushed to the “crashed jets” on the tarmac of Miami’s International Airport.
The passengers of the arriving Aerolines Argentinas Airbus were allowed to leave their airplane immediately after the jet collision. The passengers of the hit Air France jet, however, had to wait for about 30 minutes before they were asked to get off the plane.
Two hours after the jets had collided, the passengers of the Air France were still waiting in line at Miami’s airport hoping to reschedule their flights, getting their luggage, or waiting for someone to pick them up.
Even though none of the passengers were injured while the two jets collided, the atmosphere at Miami’s International Airport was tense and “some delayed passengers shouted at the airline's employees while others argued among themselves.”
As of Thursday night, investigators are still looking into what might have caused the two jets to collide.
When the two jets collided, both of the airplanes were damaged. “One plane had its wingtip battered and the other its tail section.”
Marc Henderson, a Miami International Airport spokesperson, said that each airplane was damaged during the jet crash and that both airplanes would not be flying tonight.
In regard to an incident where two jets collide and get damaged during a “jet crash”, Marc Henderson emphasized that “This is not a very common occurrence … I can't recall the last time we had planes collide.”
More articles by this author…
- 2012 Businessperson of the Year: 10 surprise facts about Amazon.com’s Jeff Bezos (Slide Show)
- Green Monday 2012: How to get the best Green Monday deals in 3 easy steps
- Cyber Monday 2012: How to get the best Cyber Monday deals in 3 easy steps
- Discover ShopDiscover.com: How to ‘shop & earn money’ in 3 easy steps
- Cheap gas prices: Where to find the cheapest gas price in your area
- How to get last-minute Christmas sales & deals in 3 easy steps, coupons all year
- 'Downton Abbey’ sweepstakes entry form link, info to win trip to London
- Subway footlong only 11 inches long: Someone forgot to press down on it (Video)
- Apocalypse: Will the end of the world happen on Dec. 21, 2012, or Dec. 23, 2012?
- End of the world: How NASA and the world prepares for Dec. 21, 2012
- End of the world: Liu Qiyuan fulfills promise to his daughter, builds capsule
- Computer-savvy 99-year-old grandmother fights crime
- Zorb ride, giant inflatable ball ride, ends deadly in Russia (Video)
- Coyotes attack man in his back yard: How to live with coyotes
- Chihuahua puppy survives 80-foot fall
- Alligator heads toward main runway, near jet-gator collision
- Teen survives shot into the heart
- GPS error 900 miles: Grandma led on 2-day trip through 6 countries
- Horse meat found in burgers: 30% ‘horsemeat-heavy burger’
- 18 heads found at airport: 18 human heads travel from U.S. to Italy and back
- Cleaning woman kidnaps train, crashes train into three-story apartment building (Video)
- Loyal dog attends mass every day after owner’s funeral, waits by the altar
- Discovery of ‘Pain Gene’ brings new personalized pain treatment
- FCC rule goes into effect today: TV commercials cannot be louder than TV show
- Anais Fournier lawsuit, Monster Energy drink: A potentially silent killer
- Flu outbreak: How to protect yourself, San Diego’s 2nd flu-related death
- Junior Seau’s suicide due to chronic football brain damage (Video)
- High-tech digital toilet training with the iPotty at Consumer Electronics Show
- Flu outbreak: Smartphones spread flu virus
- How to disable or uninstall Java: U.S. Homeland Security Java warning
- Egypt’s President Mohammed Morsi: A one-man democracy
- Israel-Gaza conflict: Can the world exhale? 'Air raid sirens could be heard'
- Pork recipes: The ‘pork recipe’ Consumer Reports does not recommend
- Video games and the Museum of Modern Art: ‘Pac-Man instead of Picasso’
- Facebook users to vote on privacy by Dec. 10, 2012: Extremely important
- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez: Cancer has returned, keeps faith
- American doctor rescued from Taliban: ‘We were concerned for his life’
- Latest update: Rescued American doctor was among 3 Taliban hostages
- SEAL Team 6 member killed by single gunshot to the head in helicopter assault
- Strauss-Kahn settles with sexual assault accuser
- Gun control: Oregon 7-graders seize gun in movie theater
- California law to ban gay conversion therapy has been stopped
- ‘Fiscal cliff’ deal agreement reached, vote expected to be retroactive
- Facebook password law, Twitter password law, and unique other new laws for 2013
- President Barack Obama’s fight for the middle class: What is the middle class?
- World’s oldest woman dies at 115
- Topless women protest in front of Vatican, Pope Benedict
- Father, sons die hiking: 4-month-old Lab retriever stayed with them, survives
- Deaf twins euthanized: The story of Marc and Eddy
- Man lived with dead girlfriend for over 6 months
- Lottery winner’s cyanide death ruled homicide, body exhumed for tests, arrest
- Ferry crash in New York: With ‘full speed right into the pier’
- Latest update: Oregon mall shooting, shooter kills himself, 2 others, 1 injured
- Oregon mall shooting: ‘The heroes were the mall employees’
- Aurora shooting motive: Sonny Archuleta kills 3, woman survives by jumping
- James Holmes: Aurora shooting new details revealed by 8 people on first day
- James Holmes Aurora shooting preliminary hearing: What is the real motive?
- Taft classroom shooter arrested, used shotgun, planned more shooting (Video)
- San Diego: San Marcos movie theater shooting on Friday, Jan. 11, 2013
- British girl, 8, dies in Jamaica gun attack
Connecticut School Shooting:
- Emotional disabilities in children: A silent killer
- Connecticut school shooting: The world’s response, ‘Death be not proud’
- Connecticut school shooting: One girl hid in blood, played dead, sole survivor
- APA: How to help Sandy Hook’s children deal with the Connecticut school shooting
- How to support Newtown to become ‘Newcountry’ in Washington
- Gohmert: Sandy Hook’s principal should have had ‘an m-4 in her office’
- Connecticut school shooting: Guns in schools, movies, malls after Sandy Hook
- Connecticut school shooting: A Sandy Hook Bushmaster in ‘Disney Princess design’
- Where and how to report scams: Sandy Hook scammers prey on Noah Pozner’s family
- Sandy Hook: What would you do? Newtown drowns in teddy bears (Video)
- Nancy Lanza, Adam Lanza’s DNA: Psychopath or sociopath
- Adam Lanza, Nancy Lanza: Why more Newtown lawsuits will follow Sandy Hook
- Sandy Hook $100 million lawsuit has been withdrawn
- Connecticut school shooting: Lanza shot mother in face, left clean room behind
- A killer’s profile: Why Adam Lanza killed innocent children
- Nancy Lanza: Profile of a killer’s mother
- Adam Lanza, Nancy Lanza: Questions and answers
- Erika Menendez, Adam Lanza: ‘Difficult to deal with’
- Man lived with dead girlfriend for over 6 months
- Connecticut school shooting: Sandy Hook reborn in new school named ‘Sandy Hook’
- Sandy Hook: How one Sandy Hook mother lives on after her son’s death
- Emotional disabilities in children: A silent killer
- Special education: What are emotional disabilities?
- The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): Who, what, when, where, how, and why
- Learning disabilities and the National Disability Employment Awareness Month
- Childhood physical abuse changes a child's brain and affects learning, behavior (Video)
- What is ADHD and how does it differ from OCD?
- Special Education: Federal Appeals Court rules for special education student
- Whitney Houston and Randy Travis: Alcohol and the lost ‘Sparkle’ of childhood (Video)
- Rosie O’Donnell and her childhood: ‘i am lucky to be here’ (Video)
- Lady Gaga, Kirstie Alley and a message to girls: ‘There's an insanity here’
- Katie Couric’s bulimia: ‘I wasn’t good enough or attractive enough'
- Lady Gaga’s bulimia: ‘I didn’t fit in, and I felt like a freak.’
- Lady Gaga’s Twitter post: Fighting fiction with facts, ‘vernacular’ or ‘slut’?
- Lady Gaga: Eating disorder, bulimia, anorexia, which one is it?
- Lindsay Lohan crosses the continent: From New York to Los Angeles
- Maybe this time: Lindsay Lohan to spend 245 days in jail
- Singer Jenni Rivera missing plane found, no survivors
- How a player became a pawn: Kim Kardashian’s TV reality in Bahrain’s reality
- Larry Hagman’s death: Co-star at his death bed, ‘You die the way you live’
- The power, legacy of Steven Spielberg’s dyslexia in 60 Minutes: ‘I own my fear'
- George Lucas' near-death experience: One moment in heaven, a lifetime on earth
- George Lucas’ near-death experience: George Lucas’ and Disney’s win-win deal
- The nature of dyslexia: Tom Cruise, Anthony Hopkins, Keira Knightley, Joe Wright
- Anna Karenina, Keira Knightley’s dyslexia: How Keira’s parents got her to read
- Dyslexia comes to life in ‘Anna Karenina’: Keira Knightley, Joe Wright
- Behind-the-scenes Tom Cruise: Did Suri Cruise inherit Tom Cruise’s dyslexia?
- Behind-the-scenes: 4 things Carrie Underwood shares with Maria, ‘Sound of Music’
- Behind-the-scenes Michael Phelps: Why Michael Phelps dumped Megan Rossee
- Justin Bieber sends ‘thoughts and prayers’ and Interstate 405 is a death trap
- Manti Te’o hoax, Lance Armstrong: 'I didn't feel, I didn't think, I didn't feel’
- Family plans to jump off bridge, goes to 2013 Oscars instead
- The 10 most-viewed ‘celebrity homes’ in 2012 (Photos)
- Kate Middleton’s hospitalization continues and taken seriously
- Kate Middleton pregnancy update: Prince William smiling
- James Middleton, Kate’s brother, owns his dyslexia: ‘I wouldn’t change a thing’
- Princess Diana: Her childhood, legacy, love for Prince Harry, William, the world
- Prince Harry’s classy mother: 'My God, what’s happened?'