With a pair of 700-plus series to go along with a 670, Renae Gross is the headline performer in this week's Examiner.com report of high scores from league play in the Sarasota-Manatee-Charlotte County area.
Other notable accomplishments include perfect games by Eric Hill and David Williams, plus an 834 series that included a 299 game by Dennis Johnson..
Gross continues to post some of the top numbers among area women, and within a six-day period, the 41-year-old righthander pounded out series of 723, 703 and 670, all at Treasure Lanes in Port Charlotte.
The 723 series came on games of 223, 254 and 246 in the Tuesday Morning Ladies League, the 707 included games of 237, 194 and 276 in the Beef O'Brady's-Parquette Insurance League, and the 670, which included a 266 game, was in the Kays-Ponger-Uselton Ladies League.
"I attribute it (the latest scoring spree), in part, to Scott Long, at A Better Pro Shop, who suggested and drilled a new ball for me," Gross said. "He recommended a Track C/A, which has proven to be a very easy ball to read. I've had some good series, but I've never rolled 700s so close together."
Hill, Williams fire 300s; Johnson blasts 834 set
Competing in the 9 & A Wiggle League at Bowland Port Charlotte, Eric Hill opened with a perfect game, then followed with scores of 255 and 235 to complete a 790 series that raised his current average to 212.
The other 300 game was posted by David Williams, who finished with a 677 series, after subsequent games of 181 and 196 in the Friday Night Mixed League at Englewood Bowl, where he now carries a 201 average.
Dennis Johnson had the pins dancing his way in the Amore's Italian Restaurant League at AMF Venice, blasting an 834 series on games of 267, 299 and 268 to increase his average to 208. The big series came a week after he rolled a perfect game in the Honest A/C of Venice League at the same center.
Mickeal Paige pounded out games of 198, 247 and 258 to register a 703 series in the Thursday Mixed League at Bowland Port Charlotte to up her average to 212. It was her fourth 700-plus series of the season in that league, following a 708 on Aug. 29, a 761 on Oct. 10 and a 710 on Oct. 17.
Four area players turned in far-over-average efforts. John Smallcombe rolled a 110-over 289 game (638 series) in the Guys & Dolls League at Treasure Lanes, Thomas Morse had a 105-over 263 game as part of a 146-over 620 series in La Malinche Restaurant League at Sarasota Lanes, Chris Sell had a 170-over 764 series that included a 278 game in the Amore's Italian Restaurant League at AMF Venice, and Joel Lehman had 106-over 266 game to open a 147-over 627 series in the JDB International Mixed League at AMF Gulf Gate.
In other high-score accomplishments reported from area bowling establishments:
- TREASURE LANES: Jerry Weese 287-706, Steve Weisenburger 279, David Baker 278 and 267, Randall Francis 278, David Drab 276-721, Wayne Carr 276, Joe DiFranco 267-756, Mike Janosik 738, Jim Aleshire 714, Jerry Weese 712, Mike Aleshire 705, Doug Kirk 705, Gary Toma 703, Joe Tocco 701; Jennifer Peacock 269-627, Wendy Aldridge 247, Ruth Lugert 246-631, Renae Gross 245-620, Ursula Hall 236-602, Bobbie Jo Weese 235, Debbie Baylor 235 and 234, Ruby Cressman 233, Deb Lugiewicz 232-638, Dolores Meyers 232-603, Dale Miller 600.
- BOWLAND PORT CHARLOTTE: Billy Seymour 289-720, Tom Janosik 284-726, Jerry Lord 278, Joshiwa Graham 270, Wendell Van Gaasbeck 269-777, Gary Krowka 269-764, Richard Oliveira 704; Alexes Fry 269, Jodi Suares 258-666, Mickeal Paige 256-650, Drcey Humphries 235, Jackie Wortinger 233-635, Rosie Gassera 232.
- AMF VENICE LANES: Rollie Block 289-729, Derek Lucas 289-683, Greg Sell 280-701, Dave Cottrill 277-739, Todd Kostek 267-703, Ernie Lafave 266, Greg Gross 752, Jess Carter 726.
- SARASOTA LANES: Mike Thompson 279, Richard McLaughlin 277, Carlton Hendrickson 268, Carl Sawyer 268, Saul Insignares 707 and 706; Shanti Schrock 609; junior Ali Hausler 227.
- ENGLEWOOD BOWL: David Brooks 269, John Stempien 268, David Williams 267, Guy Jones 266, Kevin Craycraft 746; Linda Devine 225.
- AMF GULF GATE: Donny Bartlett 280-714, Jerry Tucciarone Jr. 731.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's Examiner.com bowling articles -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the column, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]