The holidays can be a stressful time of year, even more so if you are pregnant with twins or multiples. You're probably feeling sick, tired or uncomfortable, and your emotions are running high.
Needless to say, you aren't full of your usual holiday cheer.
Here are some helpful tips for managing your stress as Christmas draws near:
- Take it easy. Plan ahead to minimize the time you spend on your feet shopping and consider using gift bags instead of hunching over to wrap presents. Your back will thank you.
- Cut yourself some slack. Your friends and family know you have a lot going on in your life. They will understand if your contribution to the holiday feast is less than perfect, or store-bought instead of homemade.
- Set a reasonable budget. Find ways to show your loved ones you care without compromising your finances.
- Know your limits. If your body is telling you it needs food or a break, listen.
- Just say no. You do not have to attend every holiday party or event, nor should you feel guilty for politely declining an invitation or two.
Any time the holidays get you down, just think: at this time next year, you will be able to celebrate with your twins or multiples. (You can worry about the added stress of parenthood later.)
For those of you who are friends or family of someone expecting twins, consider giving the gift of a pregnancy massage. It's a great stress reliever intended to ease the discomforts associated with pregnancy.