Skip to main content

See also:

Tulisa Contostavlos found guilty of assault;she says she's innocent, will appeal

Tulisa Contostavlos
Getty Images

On July 25, 2014, former "X Factor" U.K. judge Tulisa Contostavlos was found guilty of assaulting celebrity blogger Savvas Morgan, also known as Vas J Morgan, but Contostavlos says she is innocent and plans to appeal the verdict, which was rendered at Chelmsford Magistrates Court in Chelmsford, England. Contostavlos was accused of hitting Morgan during a conflict at the 2013 V Festival in Chelmsford. Contostavlos (who is 26) will be sentenced on a date to be announced.

After the verdict, Morgan and Contostavlos made separate statements.

Morgan told ITV News: "I'm delighted that we can finally put an end to this and move on. It's been a difficult time for everyone involved and I would just like to put it behind me. I've had my character questioned and now feel vindicated by the verdict."

Contostavlos said in her statement: "This has been a rollercoaster week for me. I never wanted any of this. I did not assault Vas J Morgan and I am outraged at this decision. I will be appealing it. I am determined to clear my name as I have already done once this week. I repeat: I did not assault Vas J Morgan. I am innocent."

The V Festival incident between Morgan and Contostavlos occurred in August 2013. According to the Daily Mail: "It emerged during the [trial] proceedings there was a long history of tension between the two after Mr. Morgan used his website to publish a sex tape involving the singer."

Contostavlos' sex video was banned under a court injunction shortly after it was leaked in 2012. In the video (which was made in 2008), she is shown giving oral sex to Justin Edwards (also known as rapper MC Ultra), who was her boyfriend at the time. She sued Edwards, who at first denied and then admitted to leaking the video. The lawsuit against Edwards was settled out of court, and he made a public apology. Contostavlos sued several other people whom she said were also responsible for leaking or distributing the video, but she eventually dropped those lawsuits.

The assault conviction came just one week after Contostavlos was cleared of charges of supplying cocaine. The cocaine trial against her collapsed when the trial's judge declared that a key witness (Mazer Mahmood, an undercover reporter from The Sun) lied under oath, so the charges against Contostavlos were dismissed. She had been accused of setting up a £800 deal to sell cocaine to someone she thought was a movie producer but was really Mahmood, who videotaped Contostavlos allegedly arranging the drug deal. As part of the undercover sting, Mahmood was pretending to be a film producer who was interested in having Contostavlos co-star in a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio.

Contostavlos' close friend Michael Coombs (also known as rapper Mike GLC) reportedly was caught on video selling cocaine to Mahmood. Coombs pled guilty to supplying cocaine, but the charges against him were also dismissed before he could be sentenced. The Sun has suspended Mahmood pending an investigation.

Meanwhile, Contostavlos' personal assistant Gareth Varey is facing charges of supplying cocaine. He was arrested in March 2014. Varey is also facing charges of harassing Morgan. Varey has pled not guilty to the harassment charge.

Contostavlos was a judge on "The X Factor" U.K. in 2011 and 2012. She was fired in 2013, and was replaced by Sharon Osbourne that year. Osbourne quit the show at the end of 2013 and was replaced by Cheryl Cole in 2014. Contostavlos found fame in 2008 as a member of the hip-hop trio N-Dubz, which has been on hiatus since 2012.