Rex 1516 is celebrating Mardi Gras in true southern fashion! Tuesday, March 4th, 2014, Rex 1516 will be offering discounted NOLA cocktails.
Special Mardi Gras celebrations include:
- Sazerac, $10, made with Rye, Peychaud’s Bitters and raw sugar (normally $12)
- Rex 1516's The Hurricane, $7 (not the same type you would see in a plastic jug on Bourbon Street) made with aged Rum, passion fruit, cranberry, orange and lime juices (normally $9)
- Specialty Chicken and Andouille Gumbo, $8, with black-eyed peas and okra and, of course, scratch-made
- Individual King's Cakes, $8, a doughnut like cake made with cinnamon sweet dough and topped with icing and traditionally colored sugars, complete with the famous plastic baby!
It may be chilly outside, but Rex 1516 has launched new menu items that are sure to warm your belly. Comfort food classics like the Crawfish Pot Pie remain, but new selections from Executive Chef Justin Swain showcase seasonal ingredients in the best possible way!
New starters include:
- Smoked Wings, $10, in a choice of molasses chipotle, maple mustard or Nashville hot dill
- Scallion Shrimp, $9, which are served with scallion mayo over black rice
- Black Eyed Pea Hummus, $7
New added entrees highlight Chef's passion for southern-inspired cuisine such as:
- Smoked Pork Cheeks, $21, served over hoppin’ john, crispy collards
- Duck Bolognese, $20-duck confit, fresh pappardelle, pecorino and fried basil.
Pastry Chef Brian DeMuro, The Food Network's "Sweet Genius," winner collaborated with Chef Swain for new dessert items, including:
- PB&J, $8 which puts a twist on a classic dish, consisting of peanut butter & jelly mousse over toasted, caramelized brioche, PB&J ice cream and candied peanuts.
- Chocolate Tasting, $8-flourless chocolate torte, white chocolate ice cream and milk chocolate truffle.