You are probably very excited about your three day weekend. Maybe you plan on a little time in the sun, cooking out, golfing or slipping into your swimsuit. No matter your Memorial Day plans, you’ll want to take care of yourself and get your summer off to a healthy, happy start.
While enjoying your time off, keep these tips in mind to maximize your fun while maintaining your look.
• Perhaps you have heard of sunscreen. You should wear it year round because the sun doesn’t take a vacation, but you most definitely need it during prolonged exposure. Not only will you prevent unsightly tan lines, but you will protect yourself from sunburns and visible sun spot damage. Don’t forget to apply SPF lip balm or lotion to lips as well.
• If you are in the sun or drinking alcohol, you’ll want to be sure to stay hydrated. Dehydrated skin appears tired and dull, so make sure to drink plenty of water to keep skin looking healthy and rested.
• Warmer temperatures mean you may want to rethink your foundation strategy. Heat and humidity can literally melt your makeup, so consider going a little lighter on application. BB creams are a great way to get the benefits of foundation without heavy coverage, and many contain primers and SPF protection. Win-win. Rimmel London has an excellent BB cream that provides medium coverage with SPF 25.
• Like skin, sun and chlorine exposure can weaken and damage nails as well. Regularly buff hands and feet to remove dead skin cells, and maintain a strong moisturizing routine (use sunscreen during the day!) on these areas. Furthermore, applying a base coat to nails before polish application can strengthen weak nails and prevent discoloration. OPI, Essie and China Glaze make excellent base coats, all available at Ulta.
• Proper conditioning is essential to keeping hair healthy in the warm summer months. Hair is at its weakest when it is wet, so be sure to carefully and gently detangle wet hair with a wide tooth comb. Leave-in products like Paul Mitchell’s Lite Detangler or Joico’s Daily Care Leave-In Detangler can make the process easier. Deep condition at least once per week, and consider argon or coconut oils to restore moisture.
The common theme here is that sun, heat and chlorine can all wreak havoc on your skin, hair and nails. Proper hydration, conditioning and moisturizing can minimize the adverse effects of summer’s environmental factors. Also, wear sunscreen. No really. All the time. For more information on the importance of sun protection or tips on choosing the right one for you, visit WebMD.com.