Planning a get-together for the Super Bowl? Sure, the Bears won’t be representing Chicago in it this year, but in weather like this, it’s always nice to get together, regardless of the reason. If you’re worried about hosting a good party without blowing your New Year’s diet resolution…don’t. There are a lot of great party snacks out there that won’t increase your waistline.
Here are a few of my favorites, both for health and ease of preparation.
- Almonds and chocolate chips. Buy some semi-sweet chocolate and unsalted almonds, and you’ll have a dessert-like snack that people can grab and nibble on.
- Frozen pizza. It’s come a long way since the days of the 400-calorie slice. Kashi has a new frozen pizza in the freezer aisle at your grocer. Both the margarita and the spinach and mushroom are quite tasty. The crust tastes like it’s made with whole wheat, but if you’re into Whole Foods pizza, you’d probably like this, as well. It’s got a similar texture but is crispier.
- Baked pita chips and hummus. Together, they’re high in protein and low in calories. Plus, they provide a great crunch.
- Quesadillas. Buy some tortillas, low-fat cheddar cheese and sliceable veggies, like peppers and mushrooms, and throw them on a griddle. Serve with salsa.
- Fruit kabobs. Cut up a pineapple and a melon, and wash some berries. Spear them with a toothpick or kabob skewer. Presto; you’re done.
Enjoy the game! And remember, if you’re going to a party where you don’t have control over what is served, eat in moderation and drink plenty of water.