It’s officially summer, and while July is National Ice Cream Month, August is also the perfect time to enjoy ice cream.
We recently received a goodie package from Smucker’s in order to try out some of their new ice cream toppings. We have always enjoyed Smucker’s products and hoped that these would not disappoint. For the mostpart, we enjoyed them. The flavors they sent us were Smucker’s® dark hot chocolate topping, Smucker’s® Magic Shell rainbow sherbet and Smucker’s®Magic Shell chocolate pretzel topping. They sounded like some interesting flavors so we brought out a package of vanilla ice cream and started to test these products. “It’s a tough job, but somebody’s got to do it!”
After shaking the Magic Shell toppings well, we drizzled some on top of the ice cream, waited a few seconds and voila, a nice hard topping formed. We tasted the rainbow sherbet topping first. It dried white with little sprinkles of color…perfect for kids. It tasted fruity and delicious. The sprinkles in it made it look pretty and something kids would really love.
Next we tasted the chocolate pretzel flavor. Since we had just finished making white chocolate covered pretzels earlier in the day, we had high hopes for this flavor. While it was okay on ice cream, we thought it could have had more of a pretzel flavor. What was missing was the hint of salt that you find in chocolate pretzels. Next time, we are going to sprinkle just a wee bit of salt on the shell to get that pretzel sweet and salty flavor.
The last thing we tasted was the Smucker’s® dark hot chocolate topping. That was perfect. Once heated and drizzled over ice cream, it makes a hot and cold bonanza of flavors. The dark chocolate flavor was perfect…not too sweet…not too bitter.
They also have a new series of Simple Delights toppings, which we previously reviewed.
These toppings are good for more than just ice cream. You can create a new favorite sundae, dessert, shake, or twist on your favorite snack with Smucker's Magic Shell toppings and Smucker’s dark hot chocolate topping. Smucker’s provided some recipes and ideas so you can thrill your family and friends with these toppings. Follow the links for some simple and delicious recipes using Smucker’s ice cream toppings.
- Chocolate pretzel Peanut Brittle Sundaes ~ Salty and sweet collide in this delicious dessert. Mix up Smucker’s® Magic Shell chocolate pretzel flavored topping and peanuts and pour onto a baking sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes, break into pieces and serve over ice cream.
- Rainbow Ice Cream Pops ~ Scoop 16 1-inch ice cream balls onto a prepared baking sheet and insert a lollipop stick into the center of each ball. Freeze for 30 minutes, then place Smucker’s® Magic Shell® rainbow sherbet flavored topping into a small bowl. Dip each pop into the topping to coat and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Rainbow Sherbet Ice Cream Sandwiches ~ Make these ladylike treats by spreading Smucker’s® Magic Shell® rainbow sherbet flavored topping between ladyfingers halves to create sandwiches. Insert a stick into the center of each sandwich, drizzle topping over them, place on prepared baking sheets and freeze for ten minutes.
- Dark chocolate Crunch Ice Cream Sandwich Cake ~ Place frozen ice cream sandwiches in a cake pan, spread whipped topping on top followed by a sprinkling of crushed chocolate wafers. microwave 1 cup of Smucker’s Hot Dark chocolate microwavable topping on HIGH for 30 second and drizzle over your wafers. Top with additional ice cream sandwiches and whipped topping and freeze overnight before serving.
- Frozen chocolate pretzel Covered Bananas ~ Put a fun twist on chocolate covered bananas by using a pretzel as your stick! Insert a pretzel into the center of each banana half, freeze for one hour, then dip each into Smucker’s® Magic Shell® chocolate pretzel flavored topping and freeze for another 15 minutes before serving.
- Chocolate Pretzel Ice Cream Bites ~ Sweet and salty, creamy and crunchy come together in these delicious bite-sized treats. Scoop 1 teaspoon of ice cream between two mini square pretzels and freeze for 30 minutes. Dip each bite into Smucker’s® Magic Shell® chocolate pretzel flavored topping and freeze for an additional 15 minutes.
- Hot fudge and Berry Ice Cream Sandwich Sundae ~ Fruit and fudge were made for each other in this dish! Cut ice cream sandwiches in half, then cut each half diagonally. Arrange triangles in a sundae cup and top with Smucker’s® Hot fudge topping, whipped cream and fresh berries.
- Chocolate-pretzel fudgesicles ~ Upgrade your fudgesicles with a crunch. Coat your favorite fudgesicle with Smucker’s® chocolate with pretzels Magic Shell®, place on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper, and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Sweet and Salty Sundae ~ Place scoops of caramel praline pecan ice cream on a cookie sheet and top with Smucker’s® Magic Shell® chocolate pretzel flavored topping. Freeze for 15 minutes. Then top with whipped cream and chopped cocktail peanuts for a sweet and salty treat.
- Frozen rainbow sherbet Covered Bananas ~ Bananas get a little more colorful in this frozen dessert. Cut bananas into 1-inch pieces and insert a pretzel stick into the center of each banana before freezing. Smucker’s® Magic Shell® rainbow sherbet flavored topping into a small bowl to coat each banana. Freeze for 15 minutes and enjoy!
- rainbow sherbet Drumsticks ~ You won’t skip a beat with these delicious DIY drumsticks! Fill sugar cones with scoops of your favorite flavors of sherbet, then coat with Smucker’s® Magic Shell® rainbow sherbet flavored topping.
- Rainbow Popsicles ~ For a perfect way to cool off, coat cherry, orange or lime popsicles in Smucker’s® Magic Shell® rainbow sherbet flavored topping shell to create a special summer treat!
- A Little Spicy, A Little Sweet ~ Spice up a traditional summer sundae by mixing Smucker’s® microwaveable Hot fudge topping with a sprinkle of chipotle or chili pepper and serve over vanilla ice cream. Finish with a spoonful of Smucker’s pecans in syrup topping.
- Frozen Fondue Feast ~ Customize this chilly snack according to your family’s tastes. Thread skewers with small scoops of vanilla ice cream, hulled strawberries, and banana slices. Place skewers on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. Dip frozen skewers in your favorite variety of Smucker’s® Magic Shell® topping and roll in nuts, sprinkles or coconut flakes.
- Magic Shell® Waffle Sundae Bowls ~ Give your sundae a sweet start with waffle bowls coated with chocolate. Simply shake Smucker’s® Magic Shell chocolate fudge flavored topping for 20 seconds. Holding a waffle cone bowl at its base, continually turn bowl while coating the edge with Magic Shell topping. Once coated, immediately cover with decorator sprinkles and chill in the freezer for 10 minutes. Then create your own sundae with ice cream and your favorite Smucker’s toppings variety.
- Chocolate fudge Ice Cream ~ Customize your chocolate ice cream by making it yourself. It’s easier than you think and you don’t even need an ice cream maker. Mix Smucker’s® Sundae Syrup™ chocolate Flavored Syrup into your ice cream, add your favorite mix-ins and freeze in a loaf pan.
- Firework Ice Cream Tacos ~ Mix up dinner and desert with these festive ice cream tacos. Fill crunchy tacos with slightly softened ice cream of your choice and freeze for 30 minutes. Shake a bottle of Smucker’s® Magic Shell® chocolate fudge flavored topping for 20 seconds. Holding the taco as its base, coat ice cream and immediately cover with red, white and blue sprinkles. Freeze for 10 minutes before serving.
- S’More Sundae ~ No campfire needed to make these classic sundaes. Fill the bottom of a sundae dish with graham cracker crumbs and fill with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Add Smucker’s® microwaveable Hot fudge Topping, Smucker’s Marshmallow Topping and graham cracker pieces.
- Magic Cake Balls ~ Try out this “cool” food fad! Crumble prepared cake and mix with frosting, mold into balls and freeze on skewers. Cover with your favorite variety of Smucker’s® Magic Shell® Topping.
- Key Lime Pie on a Stick ~ A traditional pie gets a mobile makeover. Freeze small slices of key lime pie on craft sticks, then top these tropical treats with Smucker’s® Magic Shell® chocolate fudge flavored topping for a decadent finish.
- Tropical Pineapple chocolate Cheesecake ~ Satisfy your sweet tooth with this rich and fruity cheesecake. Freeze cheesecake slices and coat with Smucker’s® Magic Shell® chocolate fudge Topping. Top with Smucker’s Pineapple Topping, whipped cream, macadamia nuts, toasted coconut and a cherry.
- Banana-Blitz Split ~ Make this classic dish your own. Add two scoops of vanilla ice cream and one scoop of chocolate ice cream to a large bowl. Spoon Smucker’s® Strawberry Topping and Smucker’s Pineapple Topping over vanilla ice cream, and Smucker’s Magic Shell® chocolate Topping over chocolate ice cream. Top with sliced bananas, Smucker’s Walnuts in Syrup Topping, whipped cream and a cherry.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream ~ Save yourself a trip to the ice cream shop by making this easy treat yourself. Follow this recipe using Smucker’s® Sundae Syrup™ chocolate Flavored Syrup and enjoy!
- Fudgy chocolate Cherry Float ~ A soda shop standard gets an unexpected update with Smucker’s® Magic Shell® chocolate Topping. Coat two scoops of vanilla ice cream with Smucker’s Magic Shell Topping and stack in a tall glass. Fill to top with black cherry soda.
- Chocolate Strawberry Ripple Ice Cream ~ Cool off with this easy homemade ice cream. In a few simple steps, you can make homemade ice cream with sweetened condensed milk, fresh strawberries and a crunchy Smucker’s® Magic Shell® chocolate topping layer when frozen.
- Brownie Sundae ~ This sundae has the best of both worlds! Top two brownie squares with vanilla ice cream, Smucker’s® Magic Shell® chocolate flavored topping, whipped cream and sprinkles. Finish with a cherry.
- Magic Ice Cream Cones ~ Do-it-yourself dip cones are easy to make. Coat the inside of your favorite ice cream cone with any Smucker’s® Magic Shell® Topping.
- Party Time Super Sundae ~ There’s something for everyone in this super sundae made with strawberry, vanilla, chocolate, mint chocolate chip, and butter pecan ice creams scooped and coated with Smucker’s® Magic Shell® chocolate fudge flavored topping. Freeze and arrange in a large bowl. Top with whipped cream, cherries, almonds and chopped candy.
- Super Simple chocolate Milkshake ~ Make a sippable classic by combining milk, ice cream and Smucker’s® Magic Shell® chocolate Topping in a blender and process until desired thickness.
- Chocolate fudge and Raspberry Cheesecake ~ Spread a frozen cheesecake with chilled raspberry preserves and drizzle with Smucker’s Magic Shell chocolate Topping. Garnish with whipped cream and raspberries.
We really enjoyed sampling these topping and know that you will, too. They are available in grocery stores in Mesa and throughout the valley.