We love pizza. After all, who does not? There are so many types of pizza available, it can be difficult to decide which type you want. If you love to make pizza at home, but do not want to spend a lot of time making it, our cracker crust pizza is a wonderful option for a quick and delicious pizza.
I like to keep pre-cooked and crumbled Italian sausage in the freezer so that it is ready when I am. I happened to have pre-made pizza sauce available, but if not, you can make your own. When I make it, I freeze the extra, making it easy to prepare dishes like this.
We happened to use mushroom and sausage on our pizza, but you can use any toppings you enjoy. Just be careful not to overload this pizza with goodies. The thin crust will not support heavy or wet ingredients well.
If you have never used lavosh, you will be pleasantly surprised with how delicious it is. It is available at Trader Joe's as well as Sprouts in Mesa. Some grocery stores carry it too. It will often be found with the ethnic foods.
Cracker Crust Pizza
Makes 1 Pizza for 1 to 1 ½ servings
- 1 lavosh
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 – 3 tbsp pizza sauce
- 3 – 4 tbsp cooked and crumbled Italian sausage
- 2 tbsp sautéed mushrooms, optional
- 6 tbsp shredded mozzarella
- 1 tbsp corn meal, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°. If you have a pizza stone, this is the perfect time to use it. If you do not, just place a baking sheet into the oven and let it get hot. It will help make the crust crispy.
- To make pizza, spread extra virgin olive oil on the lavosh. It should be very light coating of oil on the crust.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the crust making sure to bring the sauce to the edge of the crust. This works well with a brush. As you spread it, it will look like it is not enough sauce, but keep in mind that this is a very thin crust and if you use too much sauce, the crust will become soggy. (See the photo for how this should look)
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp parmesan cheese on the sauce.
- Sprinkle the sausage over the sauce. Again, it will look like there is not much sausage, but it will be perfect.
- Sprinkle mushrooms over pizza, if using.
- Sprinkle mozzarella and the remaining parmesan over the pizza. As with the other ingredients, less is more on this pizza.
- If you have a pizza paddle, sprinkle the corn meal over the paddle and place the pizza on the paddle. Use the paddle to get the pizza on the pizza stone or on a preheated baking sheet. If you do not have a pizza paddle, just be careful as you put the pizza into a hot oven.
- Bake for about 6-7 minutes or until the crust is crispy and the cheese bubbles. Carefully remove the pizza from the oven and cut while hot. You will hear the wonderful crackle of the crispy crust.
For another of our favorite pizza options, try our Chicago deep dish pizza. It is not quite as quick as cracker crust pizza, but it is oh, so good.