Rutabaga is a root vegetable which is a cross between the turnip and cabbage family. It is cholesterol free and contains almost no fats what-so-ever. This vegetable is high in calcium, vitamin C and contains magnesium, iron and vitamin B-6 too.
Many families serve French fries with dinners and especially when hamburgers are on the menu. Even though potatoes are great compound carbohydrate food it is nice to change things up every now and then and try something new. Here is a simple recipe to experiment with and see if it isn’t the family’s next favorite flavor or fries to eat.
- 1 pound of rutabagas, peeled and sliced lengthwise into ¼ inch strips
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400’.
- Lightly spray a baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl toss together the rutabagas, oil, paprika and cayenne until it is all nicely coated.
- Arrange the fries on the baking pan in a single layer.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden in color and crisp.
- Once the fries are done remove pan from oven and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the fries to a platter and serve while hot.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another recipe, cooking tip or news story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Jackson Cooking Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author:
Home and Living Examiner shares household tips, events, tips and tricks for greener living and fun crafts and ideas. Healthy Living Examiner teaches about nutrition, updates on public news alerts and recalls and medical and health issues. Jackson Celebrity Examiner has the gossip about your favorite stars. Mobile Top News Examiner brings news stories to your fingertips occurring in the United States as well as other countries on a variety of topics. Mobile Holidays Examiner is interesting while sharing traditional and bizarre holidays, food holidays along with history and trivia about fun holidays throughout the year.