Serving spreads is common for appetizers or a tasty treat with a Sunday dinner. Instead of just bread and butter or the usual garlic bread slices try something new for the family to try. Mushrooms provide a nutty, rich earthy taste and are available all year long. Many consider a mushroom a vegetable but they are actually known as the fruits of the woods.
Varieties of mushrooms you can choose from and enjoy:
- 1 (8 ounce) package of low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon of minced green onion
- ¼ pound of fresh minced mushrooms (Button)
- Combine together in a medium sized bowl the salt, onion, Worcestershire sauce into the block of softened cream cheese until well mixed.
- Fold in the chopped mushrooms until well coated with cheese mixture.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Spread on toasted French or Italian bread and serve.
- Peel and chop up some vegetables into sticks and use this healthy mushroom spread as a dip to get the best of both worlds in one bite full.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another recipe, cooking tip or news story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Jackson Cooking Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author: