During this time of year each football game becomes more important than the previous game. If you are tired of the same old game day dishes, you might want to try something different. An Italian style meatball hero sandwich might be just what the doctor ordered.
Meatball Heroes Italian Style
Recipe courtesy of Tuttorosso Tomatoes
• ⅓ cup Italian bread crumbs
• 1/3 cup chopped green onions
• Salt and black pepper to taste
• 1 pound lean ground beef, or ground turkey
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
• 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
• 28 ounce can Crushed tomatoes in thick puree with basil (recommended: Tuttorosso® Crushed Tomatoes In Thick Puree With Basil)
• 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
• Kaiser rolls, split
• 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 Preheat oven to 350o F. In medium bowl combine breadcrumbs, green onions, salt and black pepper. Add ground beef and mix well. Shape into 1½ inch meatballs. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towel.
2 Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and green bell pepper; cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add meatballs; cook uncovered, 4 to 5 minutes.
3 Spoon meatballs and sauce onto each roll. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Heat in oven until cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
For fabulous bread, you may want to try Breadsmith in Mesa at 2831 N. Power Road, Mesa, AZ.